DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2018 11:12 #7 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

geroi wrote: I've updated 4 routers with this latest firmware 3892.
3 x 2860 models
1 x 2862 model

on 2860 - it has fixed a lot of issues which I've been having since 2.8.8 security update - all seems OK now on two routers, one 2860 is struggling
on 2862 - Its Fine.

my struggling 2860 is set up with dual WAN and load balancing- Business grade FTTC via Modem on Ethernet connection & ADSL2
- Whenever there is a bigger traffic generated by LAN client - router struggles supporting VPN connection and drops pings to WAN/LAN and VPN, when I stop download - all goes back to normal
- When I'm browsing web GUI on LAN IP via VPN - router is dropping ping same as above, when I log out all goes back to normal

I'm not happy with this firmware at all on 2860 :(

I'm thinking about upgrading 2860 to 2862 if this carry on with firmware will continue

It's not perfect on a 2862 either so be careful about upgrading

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2018 11:26 #8 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?
It seems its the DSL (WAN1) side of 2860 router which is causing this.

Whenever I have bigger traffic on WAN1 - whole router is playing up - VPNs disconnect, QOS not being applied, pings dropping

can anyone else confirm my findings?

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2018 12:02 #9 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?
I know that temporary PPTP remote dial in users connections I sometimes use on my 2860 (not very secure I know, hence never left connected), was terrible on 3.8.9.1, but on 3.8.9.2 these appeared better, but was using WAN 2. Not tried it loaded up.

• rob.nicholson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2018 21:30 #10 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

That's enough for me to steer clear of it. My client has recently installed a 100Mbps leased line to replace their VDSL2+ link which was struggling to get 1Mbps upstream and hence was useless for VOIP. As it's been running fine since the install 2 weeks ago, I'm going to postpone upgrading it. I was tempted to suggest they leave the VDSL2+ line in there as a backup but you seem to be having trouble with load balancing which one would need so another reason to delay.

More
20 Aug 2018 21:36 #11 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

rob.nicholson wrote:

That's enough for me to steer clear of it. My client has recently installed a 100Mbps leased line to replace their VDSL2+ link which was struggling to get 1Mbps upstream and hence was useless for VOIP. As it's been running fine since the install 2 weeks ago, I'm going to postpone upgrading it. I was tempted to suggest they leave the VDSL2+ line in there as a backup but you seem to be having trouble with load balancing which one would need so another reason to delay.

I always failover to a circuit which is on different carrier and via different supplier.

I my case I have :
2860 = 100mbit on fibre, 80mbit on fttc
2860 = 80 mbit on eftc, 20mbit on adsl
2860 = 40 mbit on fttc, 15mbit on 4G

If I were you would wouldn't replace VDSL, I would leave it as a fail-over as long as its from another supplier.

• rob.nicholson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2018 21:47 #12 by rob.nicholson
Replied by rob.nicholson on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?
>If I were you would wouldn't replace VDSL, I would leave it as a fail-over as long as its from another supplier.

Sadly it's not - they are both with BT. After a lot of faffing about, BT Net were the only company able to install a high speed link at anything like a reasonable cost because there happened to be 100Mbps leased line circuit 100m up the road. I guess we could terminate the BT contract on VDSL and go with somebody else - to prevent failure due to an infrastructure problem at BT (not unknown).

But yes, I agree they should consider a failover link! Certainly a backup for the PDQ card readers as they need to take payment at the bar!