DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2862 -unable to hold a reliable connection

More
31 Aug 2018 08:31 #1 by haywardi
Hi,

I am hoping someone on this forum may be able to help me.

I recently purchased a 2862 to replace an ageing 2850 and I am experiencing significant issues with the 2862 maintaining a reliable connection to the internet. The connection does not usually last more than 18 hours, when it drops it takes approximately 5 minutes to re-establish a connection. Which is hopeless for a business class device.

For the last 4-6 weeks I have been working with draytek support who have sent me firmware after firmware, but so far nothing seems to resolve the problem.

I am therefore hoping someone here has experienced the problem and knows a solution, fingers crossed.

To be fair I will also provide a little background on the 2850 as I know I am not comparing 'apples with apples'

My broadband supplier is BT. When superfast internet was installed (BT did the actual installation) they provided a BT modem and router, but I never used the BT router. I installed the 2850 on this line, using the built in modem was MUCH slower than using the BT supplied model on WAN2. So the installation used for years was the BT modem on WAN2. The internet connection stayed up for months and months, so long in fact that the only times I remember losing the internet is when there were genuine problems at BT's end.

6-8 weeks ago, I upgraded the 2850 to the 2862. This time, I wanted to use the internal modem as I wanted to use WAN2 to provide a back up link via the cellular network. The speed of my connection on the 2862 modem is fine, connection speed 79mb down, 14mb up and I actually get about 72mb down and 12mb up and this time the BT modem is slightly slower (1-2 mb slower down, about the same up).

Anyone have any ideas?

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2018 10:42 #2 by geroi
stick in USB drive and make router save the log on USB drive
then open it and trace to the time when the issue happened
maybe there you will have some indication why the connection is dropping
you are probably on dynamic IP so maybe it crashes when IP gets renewed ?
I don't have BT FTTC myself so can't comment or suggest settings for BT but I have 2862 and 2860 with FTTC connections from other suppliers and AFAIK all goes through openreach and settings are exactly the same across all re-sellers

More
31 Aug 2018 10:58 #3 by haywardi
Thank you Geroi.

I didn't think to check my syslog which I have permanently running on my server (Doh).

Curiously, it actually shows the line crashes TWICE last night, once at 9pm and again at 2am! However, the log only shows the entry "PPP Closed: Remote Terminating (PPPoE)" on both occasions, nothing before and only the normal startup messages on re-connect.

Good thought regarding the IP address renewal, but I have a static IP address.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Iain

Iain

• bookit
  • User
  • User
More
31 Aug 2018 11:11 #4 by bookit
You can setup a notification object to email you when WAN goes up and down.

More
31 Aug 2018 11:24 #5 by spellbinder
Hello,

Do you have BT Infinity (VDSL) or normal ADSL connection?

Can you please post screenshots of your current settings in WAN menu? With the V2862, are you using the built-in model (so WAN1) or using a separate modem like the Openreach's (so WAN2)?

More
31 Aug 2018 11:29 #6 by haywardi
Hi Spellnbinder,

Please advise how I attached a screen shot, never done it before and can't find an option to upload!

It's WAN1 I am having problem with. WAN2 is fine as it connects to the BT modem.

I am using VDSL.

Iain

Iain