DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2862 -unable to hold a reliable connection

More
06 Sep 2018 09:56 #25 by haywardi
Another interesting observation.

I just checked the count again (the line has now been up 2 hours). The number have hardly moved and just as importantly, MOST of the errors were experienced before the line came up (I noticed the error count during the connection process this morning)...
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2018 11:21 #26 by spellbinder
Are you using the "recommended" firmware or a different one?
I have always used the default firmware with the default modem code

SNR margin is 6dB, which is fine, you lose a bit of speed but the line should be more stable, is it the case?

More
06 Sep 2018 12:01 #27 by haywardi
I will let you know. The quickest it disconnected previously was 18 hours the longest 36!

Iain

More
07 Sep 2018 05:47 #28 by haywardi
Well the connection didn't last 18 hours this time before I suffered yet another disconnect.

But check out the DSL status below. You will see that as I reported yesterday the error count has hardly moved, but when it re-connected it has INCREASED the speeds.. This gives rise to another theory, is the draytek being to agressive? What I mean by this is, is there some code in the 2862 that is trying to get the best speed out of the line and the only way it can do this is by disconnecting and trying to re-establish a connection at a higher speed?

Thoughts?

free photo hosting

Iain

More
07 Sep 2018 05:49 #29 by haywardi
Hi Spellbinder,

No I am not using the standing firmware. Draytek support have been issuing me with 'upgrades' in an attempt to fix this problem. I started out on 3.8.9.1_BT; the recommended firmware.

Iain

More
07 Sep 2018 08:49 #30 by spellbinder
Iain,

By default firmware, yes I meant the recommended one :p

Usually, when a modem synchronises, depending on the exchange's utilisation state and how many people are online, you may get a higher or lower speed. That is why usually we recommend to restart a modem during the night, this is when your modem usually gets the highest speed as there is usually no congestion on the line and at the exchange at that time.

There could be something at the BT side not dealing correctly with the Draytek modem here but I have never really noticed any problem when setting up Drayteks at clients'
With VDSL2, I even get the full 80meg speed when it is possible

Looking at the modem code you have, this is not the one recommended for BT. You are using the standard modem code, version 776D07. Use this one https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2862/send/497-vigor-2862/1369-v2862-3892-bt
That is the latest firmware version though, I don't know if you want to keep the 3.8.9.1? if so, then this is the one https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2862/older-firmware/firmware-3891/send/641-fw-3891/1315-v2862-3891-bt

The modem code it should then be using is version 779517. make sure in WAN1 settings, you select modem code auto or default, as on page 1, modem code version 776D07 is selected