DNS Server Issues

• cat_draytek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2019 15:59 #1 by cat_draytek
DNS Server Issues was created by cat_draytek
Hi I am trying to set up a 2862 on Irish broadband.

Having issues connecting to the internet using Windows 10 computer.

Messages after windows diagnostics have read:

"DNS server is incorrect or doesn't exist" and

"DNS isn't responding"

Or using Ethernet -

"Doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2019 08:46 #2 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Do you have the IP address of their DNS server(s).

I looked at their site and all I can say is that I hope that their service and support is better than their website.....expired certificate, links not working, it's a mess

• cat_draytek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2019 18:58 #3 by cat_draytek
Replied by cat_draytek on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Yes I have the addresses - I have tried entering these manually but still having trouble connecting.

There are other values needed to be entered like "default gateway" - is this a specific number for Draytek?

Is there a certain range DrayTek routers need for the DNS?

Has anyone tried connecting a draytek router to an existing router? Maybe this would get round the problem.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2019 08:53 #4 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues

Cat_DrayTek wrote: There are other values needed to be entered like "default gateway" - is this a specific number for Draytek?.

I'm going to assume that your setting up the DHCP server configuration, set the gateway to the IP address of the draytek router and enter the DNS server addresses of your provider, the 'start IP address' should be set to something higher than the router's IP so if your router is 192.168.1.1 then set it to 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.100

More
02 Mar 2019 10:57 #5 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
There are far too many possibilities to attempt anything other than random suggestions with the amount of information in the original post (Not' your bad' - it's just the possible complexity of the situation).
In any case, stick to getting a wired connection working before trying to get anything wireless working, and try a different cable as well...

It would help if you could post screen clips of a few of the pages of your router...

WAN / Internet Access / WAN1 / Details page / PPPoE tab (Blank out your username on the screenshot!
LAN General Setup / LAN1 /Details Page / "LAN1 ethernet tcp..." tab
Online Status / Physical Connection / IPv4 tab

And from your Windows box...
Settings / Type ETHERNET into the search box at the top and select "Ethernet Settings" from the result, then ...
continue selecting "Change Adapter Options", Right click the adapter listed called "Ethernet" (it might also have a number after it) and selct "Properties". Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties. Post a screen clip of the dialog that comes up (it should have one tab called "General" - hopefully both settings there are automatic - if they are, just say so no need for the screenshot). Also if you have more than one adapter called Ethernet something, tell us about both.

From all that (and assuming that you don't have an unusually complex configuration of the router or PC), we should be able to get a better idea of what is happening, or at least where to drill more deeply.....

• cat_draytek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Mar 2019 16:22 #6 by cat_draytek
Replied by cat_draytek on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Thank you for the long reply

WAN AND WAN2 etc ....

Are these all things from after a connection is made and the IP address searched to bring up the configuration pages?

We havnt got his far yet!

For the windows ethernet info I will endeavour to send those now and try values you mentioned.