DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DNS Server Issues

More
07 Mar 2019 09:43 #25 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Yes that's it, thanks. Logging in is not much of a hardship I guess 8)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cat_draytek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 18:48 #26 by cat_draytek
Replied by cat_draytek on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Hi again,

Been trying g lots of different inputs.

None have worked yet - still no IP adress showing in WAN physical connection.

Wondering about the need for username and password for internet access. Is this required if you used a username and password to access the original modem used? Is this not always the case with any internet connection?

Also the tag values for VDLS2 in the guide you guys sent for eircom (thank you!) say 10 and in the manual supplied with the router they say 101. May this be because the values may have changed since the article was updated in 2016? Or is 101 a UK value and 10 the value for Ireland?

As far as I am aware we have an assigned IP adress supplied when the internet was first set up. But can a dynamic IP selection still be used to avoid confusion with inputs encase this is not the case?!

And finally a seriously noob question I assume but what is the difference between modem and router?

Thank you.

More
11 Mar 2019 21:06 #27 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues

Cat_DrayTek wrote: ...
Wondering about the need for username and password for internet access. Is this required if you used a username and password to access the original modem used? Is this not always the case with any internet connection?

Yes your DSL connection will need a username and password for the service to connect. This would NOT be the password that you log onto the router/modem management webpage. It will be specific to your connection - your ISP will be able to advise you what it is (and it would usually have been provided in your sign-up information from them).

Cat_DrayTek wrote: ...
Also the tag values for VDLS2 in the guide you guys sent for eircom (thank you!) say 10 and in the manual supplied with the router they say 101. May this be because the values may have changed since the article was updated in 2016? Or is 101 a UK value and 10 the value for Ireland?

Yes - that sounds right.. 101 is the value used by British Telecom for their VDSL infrastructure. Other ISPs can have different values - if your ISP IS Eircom, then use the Draytek suggested value of 10 but you can check this with your ISP as well... Get this wrong and nothing will connect. Of course this is assuming that you are on VDSL - I don't recall you specifically saying whether you were on VDSL or ADSL.

Cat_DrayTek wrote: ...But can a dynamic IP selection still be used to avoid confusion with inputs encase this is not the case?!

Probably (assuming that your ISP issued you a single Static IP address - most ISPs will provide THAT IP address via DHCP if your router asks for DHCP).

Cat_DrayTek wrote: .And finally a seriously noob question I assume but what is the difference between modem and router?

About £100 (Sorry couldn't resist that!)

The modem is the minimum equipment to decode the complex analogue signal on the telephone line and turn it into something digital (but which would mean nothing to your PCs in that state).
A router will finish the conversion of your connection into something usable by PCs and will probably do things like NAT (to run many PCs behind the IP address your IP allocate to you, firewall (to manage which traffic is allowed onto and in from the internet connection), issue DHCP addresses to your PCs (the 192.168.1.x addresses), and probably other features that manage your traffic. The Router might include a Modem (the 2862 does) and Wi-Fi (some 2862 variants do - such as my 2862ac).