Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DNS Server Issues

More
05 Mar 2019 07:16 #19 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues

Cat_DrayTek wrote: Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 March 2019 09:08:43
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 March 2019 12:28:50
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

As Destroyer and I both said above, disable your wi-fi for now - it will complicate testing..... (Side question - that environment are we talking about home or business- the IP address assigned by your wi-fi got me thinking)

I've copied part of your settings above and highlighted the section heading (it shows which set of settings we're talking about). As long as wi-fi is disabled we're only interested in settings in this section. I've also highlighted some of the other important settings in that section - they all look good.

It shows that tour laptop is getting an IP address successfully from somewhere (I'm assuming this is the 2862 - it will be as long as there are no other routers on your network - please confirm this point).

Right... So it looks as if the router has successfully assigned an IP address (IPv4 address=192.168.1.10) to the Ethernet port of your laptop, And it has set itself as the Gateway (192.168.1.1). and the DNS servers (192.168.1.1). All of this is good, as is the subnet mask. Usually, we would not need to touch anything else on the laptop. If in doubt anywhere through future testing, you can use the "ipconfig /all" to check the IP address is still in place. That IP address might not end in .10 - but will likely be near it (but it will never be .1 - that's the router's IP). One other thing for now - Always plug your Laptop into the leftmost LAN port (LAN1) snd don't plug anything into the WAN2 port.

The failing ping to 8.8.8.8 does seem to indicate that you have no internet connection from the router to the ISP, however we still have still not got access to the router's settings, or indeed proven that we can get to the router.

The router is at 192.168.1.1 ping that (enter ping 192.168.1.1 from a command prompt). I'd expect this test to pass (you should get 4 replies back).

Assuming that the test passes, then you should be able to get to the router's configuration interface from a web browser. Browse to http://192.168.1.1

From there I'd suggest that you run the Quick Start wizard in the router ("Wizards / Quick start Wizard" from the menus) - you will only be interested in setting up "WAN1". You should have Internet access at the end of this - if not, then we are back to the screenshots I called for above (but as we have the Laptop sorted de don't need the stuff from the Windows box... anyway you know how to check that yourself now)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cat_draytek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2019 14:59 #20 by cat_draytek
Replied by cat_draytek on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
Ok wifi is disabled on both the laptop and router. It is for home use.

The old router is disabled.

Thanks we got the 4 replies! Now we can access the main config page dashboard.

At the start we changed the adim password from default and it logged us out immediately and brought to login page again. Then it wouldn't accept the changed password! After factory reset we changed it again and it brought us straight to 'password in configuration page', with password blanked out by stars. Is this normal? Stayed Logged in successfully then.

The current firmware version is 3.8.9.2_BT and the WAN is 3.3. Should we update these to the latest versions before we run the Quick Start Wizard?

More
05 Mar 2019 15:19 #21 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: DNS Server Issues

Cat_DrayTek wrote:
Thanks we got the 4 replies! Now we can access the main config page dashboard.

Great

Cat_DrayTek wrote:
At the start we changed the adim password from default and it logged us out immediately and brought to login page again. Then it wouldn't accept the changed password! After factory reset we changed it again and it brought us straight to 'password in configuration page', with password blanked out by stars. Is this normal? Stayed Logged in successfully then.

I'd have to put the inability to use the changed password as finger trouble (sorry, but not heard off or seen any such issues). Some people are reporting that auto-logout is over aggressive however, so turn it off or set one of the longer values top left of the dashboard during these early config sessions.

Cat_DrayTek wrote:
The current firmware version is 3.8.9.2_BT and the WAN is 3.3. Should we update these to the latest versions before we run the Quick Start Wizard?...

I'd update before using the router in anger, but I'd not bother until you have got at least a basic working configuration working. 3892->390 isn't going to make a big difference for the initial setup.

You need to get your DSL setup on WAN1 next - once that is done you should have basic, wired, internet access....

If you get that far, then take a backup of your router config, do the router firmware update, then you can progress to setting up your wifi and whatever you need to.

More
05 Mar 2019 18:14 #22 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
It sounds like it isn't connected to the internet properly. You need to ensure that the ISP configuration (username, password, PPPoA etc etc etc) is all correctly configured, and then on WAN status you need to see that you are connected and the router has a WAN IP.

Be warned however these routers require a certain amount of IT expertise etc to get going. I don't know about broadband in Ireland but you might want to try googling "<ISP> on Draytek" etc to see if there are already some guides on what you need to configure to get your internet going.

Personally I would go for the firmware update now rather than later as you are then doing the config on the latest version.

More
06 Mar 2019 09:52 #23 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
There is an article in the Support pages about the specific requirements for connecting to vdsl in Eire - it's different to the UK. Unfortunately Draytek have re-vamped the support website and I don't know how to find the article now.

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
06 Mar 2019 22:32 #24 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: DNS Server Issues
@Piste Basher,

You mean this one?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-eircom?highlight=WyJWRFNMMiIsIlNldHVwIl0=&return=15288975

Footnote:-

You have to log in to read the KB on the UK site :(

John.