WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2022 21:36 #163 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Anyone else had issues upgrading the firmware? Twice now I have had it fail using the .all upgrade and ended up have to factory reset, upgrade and restore the config. Not sure why it keeps happening but its frustrating!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2022 14:53 #164 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
What happened when it didn't work with upgrading the firmware? i.e. not operating, or showing login prompt, other issues?

Forum Administrator

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2022 15:13 #165 by qwaz01

admin3 wrote:
What happened when it didn't work with upgrading the firmware? i.e. not operating, or showing login prompt, other issues?

Just went offline and rebooting doesn't bring it back so going to have to do a firmware recovery. Luckily we have a cold spare so we just swap the cables and are back up and running.

• service_bb
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2022 21:42 #166 by service_bb
Replied by service_bb on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

service_bb wrote:
I've installed some new 3910's and 2962's which have taken v4.3.1 fine.

I've got a 3910 that was on 3.9.6.2 which I tried to install 4.3.1 or 4.3.1.1 and it seemed to apply fine, rebooted but always came back saying it was on 3.9.6.2 beta.

In the end I put 3.9.7.2 on and that was accepted successfully but I'm not in the mood for trying 4.3.1 again after that.. has anyone come across anything similar? known problem?

Forgot to mention but as recommended by @storyboardassociates can confirm that updating to 3.9.7.2 then allowed me to update to a newer v4 firmware successfully.

That being said - has anyone noticed that the 3910 sometimes takes an absolute AGE to update the firmware? Across multiple units I've seen it take in excess of 30 minutes to update the firmware (this is being done when local to the device over a 1GBE connection)

To put in perspective, I set 1x 3910, 2x 2862, 2x 2865, 1x 2927 updating at 2100. The 2862, 2865, 2927 all took a minute or two each. The 3910 didn't finish and show the reboot option 'til 2136!

More
26 May 2022 10:30 #167 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

qwaz01 wrote:

admin3 wrote:

Just went offline and rebooting doesn't bring it back so going to have to do a firmware recovery. Luckily we have a cold spare so we just swap the cables and are back up and running.

Oh, that's an odd & unfortunate issue. It would be worth engaging with the support team possibly to see if the root cause can be found. It may be there that there are specific settings in the config causing that - but if the hot spare works then do they have the same config, or different?
The 4.x.x firmware has already had a couple of problems resolved where the router wasn't working correctly after upgrading from 3.x.x to 4.x.x with some specific config settings.
----
For the long firmware update time, I've never seen that but when I'm checking firmware on them, they don't have the kind of load that Vigor 3910's in the real world might face. Maybe rebooting prior to a firmware upgrade would help, but since a web firmware upgrade being stopped mid-way might cause the 'Firmware Damage' warning (haven't checked if this model does, but I think it would), it would be best to do that as a precaution before attempting, rather than stopping mid-way and rebooting.

Forum Administrator

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 May 2022 12:48 #168 by qwaz01

admin3 wrote:
Oh, that's an odd & unfortunate issue. It would be worth engaging with the support team possibly to see if the root cause can be found. It may be there that there are specific settings in the config causing that - but if the hot spare works then do they have the same config, or different?
The 4.x.x firmware has already had a couple of problems resolved where the router wasn't working correctly after upgrading from 3.x.x to 4.x.x with some specific config settings.

I had a look at the failed upgrade 3910 today and it appears it has actually upgraded but also factory reset it at the same time even though I used the .all file?

Anyway...seems to be ok now I have restored config but still no auto config backup to USB or TLS 1.3 support? Both are features that my 2865 has had for ages :(