WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jun 2020 09:56 #1 by qwaz01
WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues was created by qwaz01
I just wanted to warn everyone about several firmware issues we have had with the Vigor 3910. Firstly its a great piece of kit and once all the issues are ironed out I look forward to deploying it into more environments. However at the moment its very unstable especially in larger environments where its pushed hard. We are running it in front of an RDS farm with dual WAN and around 200 users currently connecting from home via VPN due to Covid.

Firmware 3.9.2 - With this firmware installed we get regular crash/reboots during the busiest parts of the day. It tends to be between 10am and 3pm and the router reboots roughly once per hour.

Firmware 3.9.2.1 & 3.9.2.2 RC2 - The router crash/reboots are not as frequent running these firmware versions (once or twice a day) but sometimes when it reboots the router does not load correctly. On several occasions we have had issues where the router comes back online but VPN's wont connect and LAN devices cannot access the internet. Sometimes LAN devices can ping outbound but HTTP/S traffic wont pass through the router. On a couple of occasions we have had to visit site and physically reboot the router as the management page would not load. Rebooting the router once (sometimes twice) restores the service back to normal.

We have both UK support and Tawain investigating the issue but they have yet to figure out what the issues are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jun 2020 21:04 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
3.9.2.2 seems to be a bit rubbish, upgraded from 3.9.2.1 which has been fine for a 1.5 months uptime, put 3.9.2.2 on today and within a few hours when I kicked off a large download on my FTTP connection it went fine for about 5 mins then really had a bit of a fit and some devices lost internet, I could see CPU was going really high, so dont know what was going on there, ive gone back to 3.9.2.1 for now.
This is only in a home environment, no VPN but maybe 80+ devices.

More
19 Jun 2020 14:31 #3 by hdc
I am running 3.9.2/V6 and it has been stable with 3 LANS/1WAN and about 250 devices, I had it running for 6 weeks and only rebooted as I added a new WAN alias. I would say it's very flawed compared to the 3900's we use that work so much better.

I like the configurability options, it's a shame they don't all work properly. If I use default rule application filter block, it doesn't matter what filter rules I put in, everything still gets blocked. If I put the default rule to application filter pass and then add a filter rule block if no further match and then put the same rule underneath with a pass immediately it still remains blocked.

We don't use the VPN built into the firewall (only for joining a remote computer to the domain), but do use 2 linux OpenVPN servers on 2 of the networks, serving about 40 users.

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jun 2020 14:38 #4 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Thanks for your input.

I get the feeling the device has been released a little unfinished and now they are fixing all the issues that are popping up (kind of reminds me of Microsoft). We have given the Taiwan tech team remote access to our router as they even admitted they don't have a way of testing 200 concurrent VPN's so are essentially using our device as a test rig.

More
22 Jun 2020 11:25 #5 by clivers
Replied by clivers on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

qwaz01 wrote:
Thanks for your input.

I get the feeling the device has been released a little unfinished and now they are fixing all the issues that are popping up (kind of reminds me of Microsoft). We have given the Taiwan tech team remote access to our router as they even admitted they don't have a way of testing 200 concurrent VPN's so are essentially using our device as a test rig.

I think they forgot about this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYQLftJk0Q

More
22 Jun 2020 14:30 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

clivers wrote:
... even admitted they don't have a way of testing 200 concurrent VPN's ...

They do, most certainly, so either there's some missing context there or you or they misunderstood what they meant.

Forum Administrator