Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Configuration

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2023 20:13 #1 by cosmarchy
VLAN Configuration was created by cosmarchy
Hi,

I'm trying to setup VLAN and am finding that I cannot get any internet.

It is a Vigor 2927ax and I have the ports connected as follows:

Port 1 Internet router.
Port 2 NAS.
Port 3 Ethernet switch (rest of network)
Wifi SSID 1 Internal wifi network.
Wifi SSID 2 Work only wifi network.

What I want to achieve is:
1) the NAS (port 2), internal network (port 3) and the internal wifi (SSID 1) has access to the internet (port 1).
2) the work only wifi (SSID 2) has access to the internet (port 1).
3) port 2, port 3 and SSID 1 does not have access to SSID 2 (ie the work wifi only has access to the internet and not the internal network or any of the physical ports).

When connected to SSID 1 or any of the physical ports, I have internet access. If I connect to SSID 2, I don't have internet access.

The current setup is as follows:
4) Port1, Port 2, Port 3, Port 4, Port 5, Port 6 and SSID 1 are on VLAN 0
5) P1 and SSID 2 are on VLAN 1

Since the router is connected to port 1 and I can access the internet when connected via 4), I can only assume this is working as expected.

What I cannot understand is why when connected to SSID 2, I cannot connect to the internet as port 1 and SSID 2 are on the same VLAN. What do I need to do to in order to be able to access the internet from 5)?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2023 23:47 #2 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Hi Cosmarchy,

Just to clarify, when you say Port6 do you mean WAN2/P6?

2927ax has 2x WAN ports. One of these should be connected to your internet modem/router.

What you’re trying to achieve is totally doable but, if I’m understanding what you’re describing in your post, you’re not using either of the WAN ports, is that correct?

The physical layout of the ports on the front of the 2927ax is:
WAN1, WAN2/P6, P1, P2, P3, P4 & P5.

WAN2/P6 can be either a network port (like P1-5) or it can be a WAN port “WAN2” (like WAN1) but it can’t be both.

In the ‘WAN’ general setup, if you enable WAN2, P6 becomes the WAN2 port and P6 becomes disabled and vice-versa.

If you could just clarify the port numbers/WANs, that would really help with resolving your issue.

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2023 20:37 #3 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Hi HodgesanDY,

Thanks for your reply. As is probably obvious, I don't know a great deal about this kind of configuration!! :D

With regard to your port 6 question, yes I am referring to the WAN 2/P6 port. I did not use WAN 1 as (incorrectly it would appear) I assumed this was only used when the 2927ax was used as a router.

I have now moved the router from Port 1 to WAN 1.

Are there any other settings which I need to change? I can see there are options under the WAN > Internet Access tab but not sure whether these are applicable. The router which is now on the WAN 1 port, is a BT smart hub 6 so I'm not sure that the PPoE is applicable as the router will take care of this. I'm not sure whether I need Static or Dynamic IP set here???

I cannot get access to the internet at all now I've switched ports so I'm guessing there are other things to do!!

If I check Online Status > Physical connection I'm not getting anything for WAN 1 but I'm not sure whether I should be. Am I not getting anything because I need to make further configuration changes or will I not get anything because the external router is taking care of the internet connection?

Thanks

More
08 Aug 2023 01:17 #4 by HodgesanDY
Hi Cosmarchy,

So a couple of stages to set up then, first the WAN1 configuration, to get the internet connected to the Vigor 2927ax, and then the VLAN setup once you’re first stage is sorted, for now though, just disable the VLAN configuration.

If you have a standard dynamic (public) IP address then it’s all pretty straightforward. If you have purchased a static (public) IP address or multiple addresses, from your ISP, then it’s a little trickier to set up, but not that hard, hopefully you’re dealing with a single dynamic (public) IP address, so I’ll explain it for that scenario.

Seeing as you have a Vigor 2927ax, I imagine you’ll be wanting that unit to govern your entire network’s internet access? To simplify things, I would treat the Smart Hub 6 as just a simple modem, so disable its Wifi functions, that way it won’t clash and you can manage all Wifi access from the Vigor router’s Wifi offerings and any additional access points you add to the network thereafter. Some modem/routers can be switched to a dedicated ‘Modem Mode’ effectively disabling all their bells & whistles and forwarding all traffic directly through to the Vigor router; like the Virgin Media Modem/Routers, but for ease of setup right now, don’t worry too much about that, yet.
The Smart Hub 6 is great if that’s all you have managing your internet access and Wifi access, but now you have a Vigor alongside it, just treat the Smart Hub 6 purely as a “modem” and let the Vigor do the rest.

Connect a single ethernet cable from Port1 of your Smart Hub 6 directly to the Vigor Router’s WAN1 port and set the WAN>>Internet access>>WAN1 setup page to ‘Static or Dynamic IP’ and select the ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ option. You can also disable WAN2 and any others you’re not using from the WAN>>General Setup page, just disable them.
Do not have any other ports on the Smart Hub 6 connected to any other devices, only the Vigor Router should be connected to it; don’t forget to disable the Smart Hub’s Wifi functions too.

This should now bring your Vigor Router online. Check the Dashboard page of the Vigor and you should see the WAN1 status showing a 192.168.0.* address or similar. Effectively, your Vigor is now a single node connected to the Smart Hub 6 and from there it can service the rest of your network…

More
08 Aug 2023 01:19 #5 by HodgesanDY
…For the VLAN setup, re-enable it, and assign the VLAN0 to every port and every SSID, just initially, as this will effectively enable VLAN on the Vigor but everything should still work as it did before enabling VLAN, and also select a LAN of your choosing to manage the DHCP service for that VLAN0, LAN1 most likely.
(Don’t enable tagging, that’s for when you want multiple VLANs through one, or more, physical port or ports.)

Now you should have internet access and also VLAN enabled and operational.

From this point you can start to separate your network off onto different VLANs.

In the VLAN setup page, simply move the SSID2 tick box down from VLAN0 to VLAN1 (for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz), then select a new LAN(subnet) for VLAN1; most likely LAN2.

Now switch to the LAN>>General Setup page and enable LAN2 (if it hasn’t been enabled automatically) and choose a network subnet of your liking. If 192.168.1.0/24 has been used for LAN1, then choose 192.168.2.0/24 for LAN2, for example.

“OK” that setup and confirm the request to reboot the Vigor Router.
(Some client devices may require a restart or simply disable their Wifi and re-enable it and they should pickup the new VLAN network and go online.)

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2023 20:58 #6 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Thanks for this HodgesanDY.

When you say do not have any other ports on the Smart Hub 6 connected, does presume that does not include the cable from the Smart Hub to the ONT??? It is a dynamic public IP address.

I looked in to putting the Smart Hub 6 in to a modem mode but it looks like this was disabled by BT a while back as far as I can tell.

I have port 1 of the Smart Hub 6 connected to WAN 1 on the 2927ax as directed and I also have the WAN>>Internet access>>WAN1 setup page to ‘Static or Dynamic IP’ and the ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ option selected but I still cannot get the dashboard showing an IP address.

I did briefly switch off the Smart Hub 6 Wifi but had to switch back on in the end as I realised that I've lost my phones. BT In their infinite wisdom tie the phones in to the Smart Hub 6 wifi so as much as I would like to ditch the Smart Hub, I might need to keep the wifi for the phones only.

VLAN is also disabled.

In any case, even with the wifi off, I still could not get WAN 1 connected to the Smart Hub.

I've included a few screenshots, in case that helps???