Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Configuration

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2023 16:01 #31 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Thanks for this.

I've discovered another problem with something on my network which I forgot was there. I have a device still with IP 192.168.1.x attached by wire to my what is now my 192.168.10.x LAN.

Completely forgot about it!! Physically cannot get to the device to plug cable in and change to DHCP. Any ideas? I'm only looking for a temporary solution. Don't particuarly want to reset and start from scratch if I don't need to :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2023 19:11 #32 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Yes, make sure you’re on the same VLAN, then change your laptop’s IP Config to manual, and set it to:

192.168.1.* (*= 2-254, but not the same IP as the target device, or any other that might be present on that range)

Mask 255.255.255.0

Leave gateway blank

That should allow you to connect to it and change its IP address.

Let me know how you get on.

(You could also set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and use the same 192.168.10.* IP your laptop has now, but you’ll still need to set it manually to that address.)

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2023 17:36 #33 by cosmarchy
Blimey that was a bit of a kerfuffle...

I tried using the IP and mask you indicated and nothing... Couldn't ping it at all. I know it's switched on and connected as I could connect before I embarked on the VLAN crusade.

So now was sitting there scratching my head trying a few different things here and there so decided to go investigating. Pulled everything out and discovered two switches in between the device and the Draytek which no one knew about (or more precisely forgot about). So, having changed these to DHCP and a quick reboot later these switches have their nice new 192.168.10.x address but still nothing from the device I used to have.

Further investigation of the switches reveals that the damn thing was DHCP all along and the Draytek had given it an IP after all so I was never going to find it on 192.168.1.x no matter how hard I tried :o

Useful in the end as I discovered more devices... So, thanks for that :D :D

I notice the Draytek has the option to back up things like binding list and firewall rules. I take it these are a manual task separate from the configuration backup. Is there a way to do everything at once so that these are not accidentally forgotten or missed when scrolling through looking for items to backup?

Is there any software which aids in keeping a log of a network? What devices have which IP or DHCP? What ports are connected to which devices etc. Whilst I only have a small network, it can be a pain to remember IP addresses etc and when you come back to it later, you can never remember where the wires all go!! Excel seemed a good idea but wasn't sure whether there was something more suitable?

More
27 Aug 2023 21:45 #34 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Great! I’m glad you finally got it all sorted.

I would say, probably best to start a new topic now, discussing network monitoring and another for router backups, I only say that, as I think you have the VLAN configuration part of your network sorted now, and that was the title of your original post! :D

…unless you have any other VLAN related questions you’re still curious about, or need help with?

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2023 20:32 #35 by cosmarchy
Hi,
Yes, you're absolutely correct :D I'll create another post to ask this question...

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.