DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Configuration

More
12 Aug 2023 14:35 #13 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Yes, set it in the 192.168.10.* range.

But, if you have one particular device that needs a static IP set - because it can’t obtain one automatically, that device will need to change again if you move it over to a different VLAN. Not a big deal, but be aware of that, unless it is on LAN1 (eventually becoming part of VLAN0) then you won’t need to change it again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2023 14:43 #14 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Tried moving the 2729ax over to the ONT and then connecting the Smart Hub to it and unfortunately I lose the phones :o

Seems to be backed up by a few BT forum posts which are saying the Smart Hub needs to be the first device connected to the ONT.

Ah, well worth a try at least for investigation purposes :D

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2023 14:47 #15 by cosmarchy
I've just had another thought. If I were that desperate to have IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, I could set the Smart Hub to be 192.168.10.x and then the 2729ax to be 192.168.1.x that way I achieve the same thing but in reverse...

Anyway, just a thought.

More
12 Aug 2023 16:44 #16 by HodgesanDY
Ah, yes, that would be lovely but I’m pretty sure, well at least on the older Smart Hub models that I’ve tinkered with, you can’t change the default subnet.

I might be wrong when it comes to the new Smart Hub 6…

Did you input the correct PPPoE details when you connected the ONT directly to WAN1 of the Vigor? I didn’t post the info I found…:

WAN>>Internet Access, WAN1>>Access Mode ‘PPPoE’, click ‘Detail Page’

Service name (optional): FTTP (or whatever you like)

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: bt (or leave blank)

WAN Connection Detection Mode: PPP Detect

Idle timeout: -1

Fixed IP: No (Dynamic IP)

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2023 17:30 #17 by cosmarchy
Hi,
The 2729ax gets an IP address ok and I can browse the internet etc.
Looking back at some of my previous posts, I mentioned the Smart Hub 6 when in fact it should have been a Smart Hub 2. Not sure where I got that from, but apologies for that.

Not sure whether this was necessary, but I tried to change the IP address of the Smart Hub over to 192.168.10.254 so that it matched the IP range of LAN1 on the 2729ax. The problem with this is that after saving the changes the browser changes its IP address to 192.168.10.254 and then times out. If I go back to the old IP 192.168.1.254, it reconnects and it appears that it has defaulted back.
If this is necessary to change the IP address over then I'll persevere in finding out why it is defaulting...

More
12 Aug 2023 19:57 #18 by HodgesanDY
If you want, for example, device A and device B to talk to each other then yes, they need to be on the same subnet, not always, but in this instance yes.

When it comes to the WANs and the Vigor LANs they can’t share the same subnet, they have to be different. So yes, if you want 192.168.1.* on the Vigor LAN side, then you’ll have to change the Smart Hub on the WAN side to something else, 192.168.10.* is fine, as long as you’re not then using that range on any of the Vigor LANs.
Also, are you actually able to change the Smart Hub, it may not be possible; as you’ve been demonstrating!

I’m not entirely sure why you’re reluctant to use the 192.168.10.* range as your new LAN1 subnet on the Vigor, but of course, you’re entitled to customise your setup however you like, unless your hands are tied by something out of your control, like a Smart Hub refusing to change its IP from anything other than the 192.168.1.* range.

I would decide to go with whatever works, and focus on the VLAN part of this setup, as that was your original goal. Setting up the Vigor’s WAN has taken up a lot of time so far.