Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

• steveburke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Dec 2017 08:45 #1 by steveburke
Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ? was created by steveburke
Ever since updating my 2860 to fw 3.8.5.1 (from 3.8.5) my iPhone 6S randomly but every few minutes disconnects from WiFi. The iPhone was on IOS 11.0.1 so I updated it to the latest IOS 11.2 but it made no difference. I then flashed the 2860 back down to 3.8.5 again and all is now OK.

So, is it just me, or has 3.8.5.1 introduced a WiFi bug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
11 Dec 2017 18:00 #2 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
Yes I think it has... I have 3 access points, one of which is the 2860ac running 3.8.5.1 firmware the other 2 are 910c's running the latest firmware.

Whenever I am in the close vicinity of the 2860ac, my connection to ALL my wireless devices randomly drops (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone) and not at the same time, they are all running various versions of their respective OS's, but all do the same.

The device looses the DHCP allocation but picks up again shortly after, either that or disabling wireless on the device and re-enabling sorts it, temporarily!

I think I will try to go back to 3.8.5 too, been waiting too long for a firmware revision to see if that would sort it.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Dec 2017 10:49 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

macximum wrote: I think I will try to go back to 3.8.5 too, been waiting too long for a firmware revision to see if that would sort it.

You might want to try 3.8.5.2 as well. It only makes one change - but it's Wifi-related, so you never know your luck. For some reason, it's currently only on the .COM site: https://www.draytek.com/en/download/firmware/vigor2860-series/

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
12 Dec 2017 14:29 #4 by macximum

hornbyp wrote: You might want to try 3.8.5.2 as well. It only makes one change - but it's Wifi-related, so you never know your luck. For some reason, it's currently only on the .COM site: https://www.draytek.com/en/download/firmware/vigor2860-series/

Thank you! I've downgraded to 3.8.5_BT for now and it seems much better.
Well spotted... I will await 3.8.5.2 to come to the UK downloads page, usually appears a couple of days later!

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 14:34 #5 by macximum
3.8.5_BT is certainly much more stable for me although from time to time my 2860ac crashes completely (networking/dhcp goes offline) and only power cycling the unit sorts the issue.

I have a few ethernet switches dotted around here and there but on the whole I don't think I have a very complex setup - I never need to power them off and only power cycling the router sorts the lack of network issue out. Annoying when I am away from home and need access to things within my network.

Still awaiting the UK version of 3.8.5.2 firmware but I'm starting to think a 2862ac might do a better job! I'm also considering factory resetting the 2860ac and reconfiguring from the ground up as it has gone through many firmware revisions now - a major bore to input all the port forwards!

• steveburke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 15:31 #6 by steveburke
Replied by steveburke on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
I can confirm that since going back to 3.8.5 the WiFi has been rock solid again. Just to prove a point, I flashed it to 3.8.5.1 again and almost instantly got WiFi dropout issues, so back to 3.8.5 again.

I got a call from a friend this morning, complaining his WiFi at the small company he works for has been "doing weird things". On quizzing him further, he is also experiencing the same dropouts, whereby his iPhone appears to have dropped the WiFi connection and requires switching WiFi off and on again on the iPhone to get it back, albeit temporarily, as it'll happen again shortly. He put me through to his IT guy and guess what, 2860 with 3.8.5.1. Got the IT guy to go back to 3.8.5. Just checked with my friend (5 hours later) and it's working properly again.... so I'm now 100% convinced that 3.8.5.1 has introduced this WiFi issue.

I think this *may* be a specific issue with 3.8.5.1 and Apple devices (at least iPhone 6S and 7 as that's all myself and my friend have), since my Windows 8.1 laptop does not suffer the same problem, nor did my friend's office laptops (a mixture of Windows 8 and 10). It also doesn't seem to matter which version of IOS 11 the iPhone is running.

If anyone at Draytek is reading this and fancies escalating it, that'd be great. I'm not too worried at the moment as 3.8.5 works fine, but I guess someone needs to look into it further eventually.