DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 15:46 #7 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
As hornbyp suggested 3.8.5.2 has been released on the US site.
The release notes suggest it allows you to enable / disable "EAPOL Key Retries" for both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz frequencies.

My understanding is that EAPOL has something to do with authentication, so I'm not sure what the default would be on the current firmware (enabled or disabled) but it might be the case that macOS / iOS doesn't handle it well enough, so we will need to try this new firmware when it comes to the UK and see what the results are when enabled and what they are when disabled.

For the majority of the time I sit in front of a Mac, wired to the network... but I frequently catch the wireless indicator reconnecting - it doesn't bother me as I'm wired but something is causing it and I'm unsure what it is. This is happening even with 3.8.5 on the 2860ac but my iOS experience is much better than when the router was on 3.8.5.1.

Maybe it's because I have too many APs in close proximity, I have 2 AP910cs and the Draytek 2860ac providing a kind of wireless triangle (1 front most of property on ground floor, 1 rearmost of property on ground floor and the router on the 2nd floor - not first, roughly in the middle). I want to ensure the best wireless experience over 5GHz and my understanding is that that frequency doesn't travel well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 23:38 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

macximum wrote: As hornbyp suggested 3.8.5.2 has been released on the US site...
... so we will need to try this new firmware when it comes to the UK and see what the results are when enabled and what they are when disabled.

FWIW I've been running it on my 2860n without any apparent dramas, for the last week. The last time I did a (binary) comparison of firmware on the UK and .COM site, the only difference was the wording of the Release Notes - there doesn't appear to be any 'UK' firmware as such.

(I was notified of the presence of the 3.8.5.2 in an email from Draytek - I've no idea how I finally managed to get signed up to the mailing list; it's the first such email I've received in 15 years of trying :? )

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
20 Dec 2017 11:40 #9 by macximum

hornbyp wrote:

macximum wrote: As hornbyp suggested 3.8.5.2 has been released on the US site...
... so we will need to try this new firmware when it comes to the UK and see what the results are when enabled and what they are when disabled.

FWIW I've been running it on my 2860n without any apparent dramas, for the last week. The last time I did a (binary) comparison of firmware on the UK and .COM site, the only difference was the wording of the Release Notes - there doesn't appear to be any 'UK' firmware as such.

(I was notified of the presence of the 3.8.5.2 in an email from Draytek - I've no idea how I finally managed to get signed up to the mailing list; it's the first such email I've received in 15 years of trying :? )

Excellent. I'll be loading it today in that case!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
21 Dec 2017 12:38 #10 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
3.8.5.2 is so 'yesterday' :)

3.8.5.3 just turned up on the .COM site: http://www.draytek.com.tw/ftp/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.5.3/

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
22 Dec 2017 09:23 #11 by macximum

hornbyp wrote: 3.8.5.2 is so 'yesterday' :)

3.8.5.3 just turned up on the .COM site: http://www.draytek.com.tw/ftp/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.5.3/

You are too quick!

For the UK model of the 2860ac I am unsure which v number to install.

I'm pretty certain it isn't that relevant for me as I am running with a Virgin Media connection using the VM router in modem mode and the Ethernet WAN of the Draytek.

My clients on the other hand are all different, some with ADSL, VDSL etc etc.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
22 Dec 2017 09:47 #12 by macximum
1 x 2860ac now running 3.8.5.3v0
2 x AP910c now running 1.2.3.2

Both the above firmware versions are downloaded from .com site.

"EAPOL Key Retry" enabled on both 2.4 & 5GHz.

Let's give this a soak test!