Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

• steveburke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2018 10:30 #19 by steveburke
Replied by steveburke on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
I also tried 3.8.5.3 yesterday and it still has the exact same WiFi issues that I described in 3.8.5.1 at the top of this thread, with 2x iPhone 6S and 1x iPhone 7.

My Windows PCs and Amazon Echo are unaffected by the issue, so maybe it's an Apple WiFi compatibility issue?

After upgrading to 3.8.5.3, the issue was apparent within seconds on one iPhone and within about 10 minutes on another.

I have tried this with the new EAPOL setting both on and off but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have now downgraded back to 3.8.5 again and all is perfect and stable once more!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2018 23:55 #20 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
Strange...

My daughter's IPhone 6S continues to function 'normally' - as does her old iPhone 5S. (The 2860 is now running 3.8.6)

I have a (useless) Netatmo thermostat in the house, which refuses to work properly with the 2860n, when set to certain channels (definitely channel #1, there may have been others). Swapping to channel #9 cured the problem. Worth a shot?

FWIW, here are my "advanced" Wifi settings, just in case they are pertinent :-

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2018 16:45 #21 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

hornbyp wrote: Strange...

My daughter's IPhone 6S continues to function 'normally' - as does her old iPhone 5S. (The 2860 is now running 3.8.6)

I have a (useless) Netatmo thermostat in the house, which refuses to work properly with the 2860n, when set to certain channels (definitely channel #1, there may have been others). Swapping to channel #9 cured the problem. Worth a shot?

FWIW, here are my "advanced" Wifi settings, just in case they are pertinent :-

I would set the channel bandwidth to 20/40 to enable better support for other/older wireless chipsets. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2018 19:25 #22 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

macximum wrote: I would set the channel bandwidth to 20/40 to enable better support for other/older wireless chipsets. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Well looking at the options now, I've forgotten what half of them mean - or how I arrived at the settings I used :)

I was searching for 20/40 ... and came across Apple's recommendations ( https://support.apple.com/bg-bg/HT202068 ).

Interestingly, they say:-

Apple wrote:
2.4 GHz channel width
Channel width controls how large of a ”pipe” is available to transfer data. However, larger channels are more subject to interference and more likely to interfere with other devices. A 40 MHz channel is sometimes called a wide channel, and a 20 MHz channel is a narrow channel.
Set to: 20 MHz
Use 20 MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Using 40 MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band can cause performance and reliability issues with your network, especially in the presence of other Wi-Fi networks and other 2.4 GHz devices. A 40 MHz channel might also cause interference and issues with other devices that use this band, such as Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and neighbouring Wi-Fi networks. Routers that don't support 40 MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band do support 20 MHz channels.

5 GHz channel width
Channel width controls how large of a "pipe" is available to transfer data. Larger channels are more susceptible to interference, and more likely to interfere with other devices. Interference is less of an issue in the 5 GHz band than in the 2.4 GHz band. A 40 MHz channel is sometimes called a wide channel, and a 20 MHz channel is a narrow channel.
Set to:
For 802.11n access points, set the 5GHz band to 20 MHz and 40 MHz.
For 802.11ac access points, set the 5GHz band to 20 MHz, 40 MHz, and 80 MHz.
For best performance and reliability, enable support for all channel widths. This allows devices to use the largest width they support, which results in optimal performance and compatibility. Not all client devices support 40 MHz channels, so don't enable 40 MHz-only mode. Devices that support only 20 MHz channels cant connect to a Wi-Fi router in 40 MHz-only mode. Similarly, don't enable 80 MHz-only mode, or only clients capable of 802.11ac will be able to connect. Routers that don't support 40 MHz or 80 MHz channels do support 20 MHz channels.

• steveburke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2018 15:10 #23 by steveburke
Replied by steveburke on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
My WiFi settings were as yours, except for 20/40 for the bandwidth channel, so I'm still in the dark as to the cause.

Thought I'd give 3.8.6 a try today. Initially it seemed better, but myself and the wife left the house for about 15 mins and upon returning, both of our iPhones weren't "working" and had got 169.x.x.x addresses. Hmmm. A quick WiFi off and one again on the iPhone fixes it, as per usual. Tried the same thing again with EAPOL enabled and exactly the same think happened. Back to 3.8.5 again and all is perfect once more. Not sure how many other ways to say it, but WiFi since 3.8.5 is definitely broken for my IOS devices.

As a BTW, any Remote Management addresses you may have set will disappear when downgrading from 3.8.6 to 3.8.5 (or probably anything lower than 3.8.6, due to the way 3.8.6 now uses objects), so don't do it remotely or you won't get back in again!