DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
22 Dec 2017 12:04 #13 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

macximum wrote: You are too quick!

I received another email from Draytek!

He also wrote: For the UK model of the 2860ac I am unsure which v number to install.I'm pretty certain it isn't that relevant for me as I am running with a Virgin Media connection using the VM router in modem mode and the Ethernet WAN of the Draytek.

I have a similar setup - and like you, always thought the 'modem' version was irrelevant. However, in response to a fault report about Q.O.S. (which still isn't fixed), Draytek said "Furthermore, I would like to recommend using firmware version 3.8.4.5 vector3 and use 'Hardware Acceleration' feature, which may improve the connection speed. " (Ignore the actual version no., this was back in June).

I followed their advice, and Vector3 firmware (with Q.O.S. enabled) was definitely faster, so I've stuck with that. Having said that, the Q.O.S. issues remain, so Q.O.S. is disabled at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Dec 2017 04:03 #14 by hornbyp

macximum wrote: 1 x 2860ac now running 3.8.5.3v0
2 x AP910c now running 1.2.3.2

Both the above firmware versions are downloaded from .com site.

"EAPOL Key Retry" enabled on both 2.4 & 5GHz.

Let's give this a soak test!

Santa brought my daughter an iPhone 6S, hence my interest in this thread. She reports that the WiFi is working "normally".

I'm running a 2860n on 3.8.5.3 (vector3), with "EAPOL Key Retry disabled" (as a Krack 'fix')

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
28 Dec 2017 09:14 #15 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
I'm away for Xmas... and Santa brought me an iPhone X !

Typically my 2860ac which I left with 3.8.5.3v0 running on it has crashed, so I cannot access any of the smart devices (cctv, heating, lighting etc) within the home.
Nothing I can do until I return! I was still soak testing the new firmware and did see a marked improvement in wireless connectivity.

Off thread...

Now I need to work on a solution to be able to power cycle the router whilst away!
One idea I had was to run a smart plug off of a neighbouring wireless, that way I can power cycle remotely!

Not sure what is crashing it, I have a dongle failover connected (I only top up the credit when required) and a Draytek USB temperature sensor.
Most of the ethernet ports are also populated... guess I will need to get in to the logs somehow to find out what is happening.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
31 Dec 2017 15:09 #16 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?

macximum wrote: t sure what is crashing it, I have a dongle failover connected (I only top up the credit when required) and a Draytek USB temperature sensor.

I found that on a 2820 an enabled WAN2 port (for a 120 modem) even if not powered up was enough cause the 2820 to crash randomly. No experience on the temp sensor though.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jan 2018 01:20 #17 by hornbyp

macximum wrote: Off thread...

Now I need to work on a solution to be able to power cycle the router whilst away!
One idea I had was to run a smart plug off of a neighbouring wireless, that way I can power cycle remotely!

You have my sympathies - I have a 2830 in a holiday home that I occassionally lose access to, with similar consequences. I tried setting a scheduled reboot at 06:00am every day - this never cured anything, but did sometimes create hangs of its own!

You could go for a (pricey!) SMS controlled switch and maybe share the SIM with your dongle?

One of my forthcoming projects is to take an ESP8266-based Wifi switch and modify its firmware. Simplistically, I should be able to make it toggle the power, if it was unable to Ping something (8.8.8.8?) in the outside world for 10 mins or so.

• maxwellhadley
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2018 10:07 #18 by maxwellhadley
Replied by maxwellhadley on topic Re: Issue with 2860 3.8.5.1 and iPhone 6S ?
I upgraded to 3.8.5.3BT now it is available, and I have since started seeing WiFi weirdness with my Macbook Pro. Sometimes it just sits there with the menubar icon showing the 'search' animation, but the menu showing connection to the correct network. Sometimes I get the '!' error menubar icon, sometimes it appears to be connected normally but isn't. I have EAPOL key retry disabled for KRACK protection.

This definitely looks like a bug with the 3.8.5.x firmware. I see 3.8.6 is out on draytek.com, but the release notes say nothing about WiFi bug fixes. IMHO the quality of recent firmware releases from Draytek has definitely gone downhill, in that things which used to work (like SSL web proxy) no longer do, and nobody seems to be interested in fixing them - or indeed, even believes they have been broken.

:(