DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn PSTN Relay Not Working

More
28 Aug 2009 11:06 #13 by jhamshaw
Replied by jhamshaw on topic 2820Vn PSTN Relay Not Working
I'd rather they sorted it as it does everything else I need so well.... Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2009 18:06 #14 by jhamshaw
Resolved my issue - all now works fine, both #0 and Dialplan. As ever, the simplest fixes are the hardest to find. When my router was delivered, the "Line" lead was missing from the packaging - the reseller sent me one after I pointed this out. After a flash of inspiration, and trying several other RJ11 to BT plug leads, I found one that worked!

It would appear that the router needs either straight or crossed, and the other type won't work (despite assurances fron Draytek support that it didn't matter) - however with a sealed white BT plug on one end of both leads I can't tell which it is!!

If anyone else is in the same position I suggest a trip to Maplins to buy one of each type - one will work!!

Edit - have since noticed that the number map timing is still an issue, but at least #0 works properly...

• busta999
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2009 18:26 #15 by busta999
Replied by busta999 on topic 2820Vn PSTN Relay Not Working
Darn it!!!

Mine went off today to get a repair done - That is very useful info that would be well worth clarifying in the documentation.

I have a bag of them sitting here, never occurred to me or to support that there would be a difference.

Have to wait for it to come back now to see if that does it.

Thanks!!

More
23 Sep 2009 22:24 #16 by mikeytt
Replied by mikeytt on topic 2820Vn PSTN Relay Not Working
Have you managed to get any further with the issues?

Can you tell me exactly what symptoms change when you swap the cables out?

I've had a call open for 4 months now with exactly the same thing. the earlier firmwares just plain didn't work. But there seems to be a huge timing issue with the latest 3.3.2.1 (not mentioning the 512k drop in performance with it).

If I do a #0 and wait I get a dial tone, and I can dial a number. If I use a pre-stored phone book entry either with a #0 or a dialplan rule then I get the two deep beeps then disconnect. Even if I put a phone book entry in I get the same.

If I get further with support I'll post back.

Mike...

Draytek Vigor 2820Vn
Firmware: 3.3.2.1_211801_A
Pipex Business (8Mb - Getting 3 - 3.5Mb)

• busta999
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Sep 2009 22:49 #17 by busta999
Replied by busta999 on topic 2820Vn PSTN Relay Not Working
Yup that is the problem I have had since I opened the ticket in June.

It has now gone back for replacement.

It looks like it may just be a cable replacement is all that is necessary.

We shall see what happens

Regards

Mike

More
24 Sep 2009 08:29 #18 by jhamshaw
Swapping the line cable at least gets me a dial tone when dialling #0 manually. Since then, I've discovered that by inserting a pause (which I can do with my fax machine - it has a pause key!) between #0 and the rest of the number to allow for the pstn dial tone to come up before dialling the number proper fixes the issue. No way I cxan find of inserting said pause on a standard handset, or in the dial map or any other router settings though.

Seems that the router needs to be made able to wait and detect the PSTN dial tone before dialling the rest of the number, both in #0 and dialplan modes....