PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

• johngordon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 16:20 #1 by johngordon
PSTN function of IPPBX 2820 was created by johngordon
Is it true that the incoming PSTN line on the IPPBX2820 cannot act as part of the pbx function.
I would want to be able to dial out on the PSTN line from any VOIP extension and also route incoming calls from the PSTN lines to a voip extension.
Does this work???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 23:23 #2 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
Hi John,

That is correct. The PSTN line on the IPPBX 2820 is for failover for the analog phone port only, enabling the analogue phone to make and receive incoming calls to the PSTN line.

It cannot be currently used to route incoming/outgoing calls for the IPPBX nor can it be used to dial out to the internet to provide failover to the ADSL connection.

As far as I am aware, it is currently not a hardware limitation on the IPPBX 2820, so theoretically it could be added as an additional feature to the IPPBX 2820 in the future by way of a firmware upgrade.

The only options on the IPPBX 2820 for calls is to use SIP/ISDN trunks.

• johngordon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2010 00:17 #3 by johngordon
Replied by johngordon on topic Draytek would have you believe different
Quote form the Draytek web site on the IPPBX2820
“Its ISDN/PSTN compatibility lets you move from simple VoIP solution such as IP phone and Softphone to integrate with comprehensive networking infrastructure, such as ISDN and Analog phone line any time you need.

Not enough for your desirable cost-effective communication? Don't worry; VigorIPPBX 2820 has more to offer. Its Digit Map function allows you to set up rules for particular call destinations through the most cost-effective way to reach them. For instance, you can route local calls via your PSTN/ISDN line (if you have a free calls package) whereas international calls can go via your preferred VoIP provider. Digit Map¡¦s flexibility can align with your local service package to give you the most economical calls all the time.”

Mmm the advertsing from the Draytek site above would have you believe different!!!!
Time they owned up and either did the work to make it or stopped misleading the customer......
Poor show Draytek. Most of your target audience SMEs have a couple of ISDN and an Analogue line for ADSL. They will want to use the PSTN line as they have to pay for it and often get some free calls and in some cases must use it some times to avoid BT additions to the bill.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2010 00:47 #4 by asimm.it
Hi John,

I looked on the IPPBX section of the DrayTek.co.uk website and did not stumble upon that excerpt. Please could you post the link to the page where it says that?

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820pbx.html

I found this:

The VigorIPPBX 2820 is an IP-PBX (iPBX) integrated with DrayTek's fully-featured Vigor 2820 ADSL Router. It offers a complete replacement to the traditional office phone system and analogue or ISDN lines. An IP-PBX uses your existing network and the Internet to provide company-wide telephony, using VoIP technology instead of regular phone lines or a traditional PBX. This can save hugely on line rental, provides vast flexibility, reduces call costs, maintenance and increases efficiency. IP Phones (such as the VigorPhone 350) can be placed anywhere in your office, or remotely around the world to provide one seamless phone network for your business. Wherever you have an Internet connection, you can have an extension on your PBX. All pure IP calls are free of charge; for calls to the conventional phone network (PSTN) you route via an ITSP 'Trunk' for low cost calls (for example DrayTEL).

and this:

For calls to and from the regular PSTN - the public telephone network, you need an ITSP (Internet Telephone Service Provider) who can provide you with a SIP Trunk, such as DrayTEL. Then, when your users need to make an external call, the iPBX routes automatically via the ITSP gateway on the Internet. The ITSP will also provide you with incoming phone numbers to receive calls. Those calls are routed into your VigorIPPBX 2820 which then passes to the appropriate telephones (extensions).

DrayTek clearly mention twice that PSTN calls are made and received (handled) through an ITSP (Internet Telephony Service Provider) such as DrayTel.

I agree with you on most SME's having a couple of ISDN and an Analogue line for ADSL. Most of our clients use the analogue line for the ADSL as a fax line and make use of the calls that way. There would be no need to route calls via the Analogue line if a couple of ISDN circuits were available then surely the IPPBX would be configured to use those to make calls.

I disagree with you about the misleading advertising regarding the PSTN

PSTN stands for Public Switched Telephone Network, it does not mean an Analogue line, an analogue line is more correctly referred to as POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service)

PSTN is the gateway network where POTS lines, ISDN lines, VOIP and Mobiles come together to communicate with each other!

The IPPBX2820 can make calls and receive calls via the PSTN using SIP or ISDN trunk so how are DrayTek misleading the customer?

• johngordon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2010 08:59 #5 by johngordon
Replied by johngordon on topic In reply POTS
Its ISDN/PSTN compatibility lets you move from simple VoIP solution such as IP phone and Softphone to integrate with comprehensive networking infrastructure, such as ISDN and Analog phone line any time you need

I hear your defence for Draytek but the wording states ISDN and Analog Draytek use the term PSTN as though talking about POTS.

This can be found on draytek.com

From the customer point of view just look at this forum to see that it is unclear what functionality is posible with the POTS interface. The manual is not all that clear in my view either. Draytek is likley to disappoint the customer if not careful......I've bought a lot of product over the last few years and recommended Draytek.....let's not get defensive this is good customer feedback. According to SEG this morning this feature is under development.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2010 13:02 #6 by asimm.it
Hi John,

I do not work for SEG or DrayTek so I have no cause to be defensive. I too have bought many products and have purchased the IPPBX 2820.

I make no reference to your post not being good positive feedback as I think it is a good critisism. Yes the product has it's bugs and hopefully these will all eventually be fixed, but what product doesn't have any bugs from its first release?

I just think you were quick of the gun to slate the product and I wanted to know how interpreted the PSTN function of the device, yes I think it would be a problem if customers were only purchasing this product to use to connect the one Analogue line but if that were the case then they would be far better off purchasing a standard 2820vn.

The draytek.com website page for the IPPBX2820 is telling you an overview of the devices intented use. On the features page it does have a * next to
- In/Outbond Call Through FXO Interface *

at the bottom of the page it states that it is firmware upgradeable.

Technically the POTS line can be used and can be switched to at leisure but of course at the moment it is only usable by the connected analogue phone port.

I did state that the POTS interface could be used in the future by a firmware update.

Either way it is only my 2 pence worth, I am not for DrayTek/SEG or against you in any way shape or form.