DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820and ADSL 2+ support

More
11 Jul 2009 08:54 #19 by jmn
Replied by jmn on topic 2820and ADSL 2+ support
Demon also use the Speedtouch 750 as "standard" issue to customers who just need a simple router. In my discussions with them I was asked to try a Speedtouch in place of the 2800VG as a test. I don't have one to try.

JMN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2009 21:20 #20 by anwo
Replied by anwo on topic 2820and ADSL 2+ support

jmn wrote: I reply to this thread even though I have a 2800VG. I have similar problems to those mentioned. ISP = Demon. Comparisons with G.DMT and G.992.5 (ADSL2+) are posted on www.rmnjmn.demon.co.uk/DrayTek and select Summary.
JMN

What software are you using to obtain the graphs?

More
13 Jul 2009 21:34 #21 by jmn
AnWo asked about software I use to make the graphs.

The plots are made from a database - part of the RRDTool scheme of Tobias Oetiker - see oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool. This is a very useful scheme.
I use an Apple Mac. Mac OS X is Unix based and I use Unix shell scripts to extract (via telnet) the relevant data I want from the router. This is done every 5 minutes and the data put into the RRD data base. Then rrdgraph is used to extract information and do the plots. This is uploaded every hour to my web page. The current set is in www.rmnjmn.demon.co.uk/DrayTek and is in Data from 12 July.

JMN

More
16 Jul 2009 10:27 #22 by jmn
On July 11 I wrote: "Demon also use the Speedtouch 750 as "standard" issue to customers". My mistake. They use Speedtouch 585 v7 for wireless routers.

I asked, and Demon provided, a 585 v7 router to test and now I currently have ADSL2+ up/down SYNC speed 903000/7939000. Best SYNC speed with the 2800VG was 4476900 bps. I have sent a screen dump of the Speedtouch status page to Andrew at DrayTek showing connection info.

In addition, the Speedtouch wireless is compatible with the Broadcom chipset in other computers we have whereas the 2800VG requires the special 2.8.2.1_B1120 patch for compatibility.

Others report success with ADSL2+ so there seems to be a compatibility problem with some DSLAM/MSAN that are being used. Demon (Cable&Wireless LLU) might have a problem with DrayTek...

Unfortunately, the Speedtouch does not have VoIP which is essential. So back to the 2800VG tomorrow....

JMN

More
16 Jul 2009 10:39 #23 by stuey
Replied by stuey on topic 2820and ADSL 2+ support

Unfortunately, the Speedtouch does not have VoIP which is essential. So back to the 2800VG tomorrow....

Why compromise? You can have the best of both worlds - the decent modem in your router, with the functionality of the Draytek. See my instructions below.

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=56400&highlight=#56400

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Stu

More
16 Jul 2009 11:05 #24 by jmn
Thanks for the advice about router inter-connections. I don't see how to do this with the 2800VG:

> Then plugged one of its lan ports into the Draytek WAN2

The 2800VG doesn't have this - or am I missing something?

John

JMN

Moderators: Sami