DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820and ADSL 2+ support

More
16 Jul 2009 11:21 #25 by stuey
Replied by stuey on topic 2820and ADSL 2+ support

jmn wrote: Thanks for the advice about router inter-connections. I don't see how to do this with the 2800VG:

> Then plugged one of its lan ports into the Draytek WAN2

The 2800VG doesn't have this - or am I missing something?

John

Doh, sorry John, thought you had a 2820......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2010 03:23 #26 by peterb
Replied by peterb on topic 2820and ADSL 2+ support
Did Draytek ever fix this problem with the Huawei MSANs?

I brought my Vigors (yes, I have several, including my original 2200USB!) with me when I emigrated to Philippines a couple of years ago.

My ISP here is using Huawei MSANs and I'm experiencing the same problem as Idnet users in UK - the authentication fails.

I'm using a 2700VG at present (firmware 2.8.3) and having to connect the ISP-supplied router to a LAN port on the 2700. However, here are a couple of problems with this setup:
1) I have to supply the default route to the 2700 everytime it is powered up (on a good day, here, we get less than two powercuts) -
Code:
IP route add 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 if0 default
Is there a way of making this route permanent?

2) No traffic which is generated internally by the 2700 (eg VPN, VoIP etc) gets routed to (or returned by???) the other router. Is there a way to achieve this?

More
29 Jan 2010 10:14 #27 by stuey
working for me now using;

Model Name : Vigor2820 series
Firmware Version : 3.3.1.2_232201
Build Date/Time : May 12 2009 14:42:43
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Annex A

regards

More
29 Jan 2010 14:26 #28 by peterb

stuey wrote: working for me now using;

Model Name : Vigor2820 series
Firmware Version : 3.3.1.2_232201
Build Date/Time : May 12 2009 14:42:43
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Annex A

regards

Ah! I know of a 2820 user here who subscribes to the same ISP as I do. A beta test build of the 2820 firmware, dated August 26 2009, did not solve his connection problem. So, if you had a connection issue which was fixed with the 3.3.1.2 firmware, the problem here must be different (or more severe).

I have heard it suggested that the problems are caused by the Vigor timing out the authentication request too quickly, before a reply is received from the Huawei MSAN.

Perhaps you are with Idnet - if so, I understand that they spent some time reconfiguring their network topology to bring the authentication server (logically) closer to the user, and it may be this (rather than updated firmware) which resolved your difficulty.

More
29 Jan 2010 14:37 #29 by stuey
Yes, I am with IDNet. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance with this.

all the best and hope you get it sorted.

More
16 Feb 2010 13:11 #30 by peterb
Well, after much discussion with Draytek Tech support, my problem is resolved. I'm not sure whether to feel embarrassed, or not! My problem was a configuration issue - nothing to do with any Huawei incompatibility!

I have always believed that the 'ISP Name' field in the ISP Access Setup section of the web interface (on the 2700 and earlier Vigors) was a purely descriptive field - I now learn that it is used as the 'Service Name' when the router is negotiating the connection with the DSLAM/MSAN. It must be that all ISPs I've used before have ignored this field - however, my current ISP seems to have five different services provided on the same MSAN and the text I had entered didn't match the name of any of those five services. Because there was no matching service, all connection attempts were simply being ignored.

Now I'm trying to help a 2820 user on the same ISP to see whether we can resolve his connection problem.

Moderators: Sami