• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 13:17 #1 by amuren
Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n was created by amuren
Hello All,

I have been trying to connect my 2820n as a router only, to a Huwaei VDSL Openreach modem, to do away with the Sagem 2504n. I have no issues with the Sagem - it seems to work very well - I would just prefer to use a my Draytek modem/router, having been a customer of theirs for some nine years.

I have the 3372_RC3a firmware installed from Draytek, and have followed their instructions and all variations I can find within these and other forums, so far with no success - WAN2 remains stubbornly disconnected. I have my sky user name and password obtained via one of the web tools, and have tried it in the long format separated by the "|" (with and without spaces before and after) in the username field only, as well as splitting the two across the separate username and password fields.

I am using WAN2, disabled WAN1, with the Huwaei connected to WAN2 ethernet port. I am using the WAN2 PPOE screen to enter the user name and password, although this is disabled, as I am using the Static/Dynamic IP section, enabled and "select IP address automatically". I have tried putting my username | password in the Routername field as well on this screen.

The only time I have managed to achieve a WAN2 connection (at least as reported by the modem) was when I manually entered the IP address, subnet, gateway IP etc from my Sky modem, but even then, it only showed as connected when I selected the "Always on" option which was only available when static IP was selected. Otherwise this field was left at "ARP Connect". I also tried an MTU of 1478, but that made no difference. In each case, despite showing a connection, internet access was not possible.

Bit stuck now as an intermediate user - may have to forget using the 2820n - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• niggly54
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 13:55 #2 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
I used to use a 2820n on Sky, with the username and password extracted from my original early Netgear Router/Modem. I had no issues with it.
However, I understand the more recent Sky routers are 'more difficult' to obtain the user data from and Sky also use a different method of connection in some implementations called MER. Although I am aware of it, I don't have any detailed knowledge of it. Perhaps a visit to the Sky users forum may help :wink:
EDIT: The above applies to ADSL- just reread your post and noticed the Openreach modem reference. My advice for the Sky users forum still stands...http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 16:50 #3 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
do first to WAN >> General Setup >> wan 2 >>> enable yes and active always on click ok reboot

then WAN >> Internet Access ...wan 2
use pppoe window of the router
left tick enable (some forgeting to tick it) enter user name ,pass mtu 1942 and right IP Address Assignment Method (IPCP) tick dynamic and pap or chap
click down ok
router should reboot

now reboot bt modem as well and wait if connect

Not working like that?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 17:08 #4 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
other option if will not work is go again WAN >> Internet Access ...wan 2
enable yes and active always on click ok reboot

then WAN >> Internet Access ...wan 2
use static or dynamic ip window
left
enable tick
WAN Connection Detection always on
mtu 1500
right obtain ip automatic
click ok then will reboot it self

now reboot manually and the bt modem

still nothing?

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 18:04 #5 by amuren
Replied by amuren on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Thanks babis3g. I have tried both of your suggestions, but unfortunately, neither seems to work. FYI I am entering the username and password in the PPOE WAN2 username field only in one long entry ie "xxxxxxxxxxxx@skdsl | password" with a space in between the end of the username and the "|" followed by a space then the password. I assume that is correct?

I am then enabling the Static / Dynamic IP (selecting Dynamic IP as you suggest) - this automatically disables WAN2 PPOE, although I understand the username | password is still sent from the PPOE screen, despite the option now being disabled.

As a last resort I would try to set up WAN1 instead, but don't know which physical connection on the 2820n to connect to the VDSL modem in this case - at least WAN2 is obvious and labelled as such.

• niggly54
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 18:47 #6 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Try the above suggestions- but put the username and passwords into the separate fields.