Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 18:53 #7 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
no is not correct
like niggly54 said needs each one to the correct field with out extra spaces so user name up field box, password down field box

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 22:01 #8 by amuren
Replied by amuren on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
OK thanks for this - I'm sure I have tried this already, but will give it a go tomorrow and post again.

Cheers

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2012 20:15 #9 by amuren
Hi babis3g,

Ok so I have tried both your suggestions again, while putting the username and the password in their separate fields (rather than combined in the username field as before) on the WAN 2 PPOE screen. Unfortunately, despite repeated re-boots of both the Openreach and Draytek it would not connect, and I left it for 5 minutes + on most occasions before giving up.

One thing I noticed was that in your second option you talk about selecting Wan Connection "Always On", but this option is only available if you select Static IP address - as soon as you select Dynamic IP, the Wan Connection field reverts to ARP, and the "Always On" option is no longer available for selection.

I even tried re-flashing the firmware 3.3.7.2_RC3a, in case it was corrupted in some way, but this made no difference either.

I'm beginning to think I will not be able to use my Draytek 2820n on my Sky Fibre Unlimited connection. which would be a shame. Any other ideas?

Thanks

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2012 21:51 #10 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
I am not sky customer but looking around for any light i find out that i am not sure even if you can use any other routers with sky,let alone the 2820
This thread in their forums may help you if you can do some "tricks" and then pass some info/settings to the draytek
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/47792-how-get-round-sky-mer-use-your-own-router.html

• niggly54
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2012 23:18 #11 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Yes, I did mention MER authentication earlier- although I was not familiar with it. You can 'spoof' the routers MAC address with the Draytek by putting the MAC address you want to impersonate into the Internet Access setup screen. There are two options- Default MAC address, or Specify a MAC address. Do the latter and put the MAC address of your existing SKY router in this field. The SKY servers will then see the Draytek as being the SKY router. I don't think you need to do this for MER authentication.
This link should help you get it connected:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/50062-draytek-2820-sky-fibre-unlimited.html

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Nov 2012 15:01 #12 by amuren
Thanks babis3g - appreciate your effort. Niggly54, I have followed those links before to the letter, and my own variations (!) to no avail. However, although I have tried spoofing the MAC code already, that was only when using a fixed IP address, subnet, GW IP and DNS settings copied directly from the Sky Sagem modem - I will try that on its own now, with the user and pass in seperate fields, but with Dynamic IP settings and see what gives. Others have recently managed to connect their 2820n to Skys fibre service, so I'm hoping I can still make mine work.

Thanks