DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n

More
30 Nov 2012 13:08 #19 by andrewhuk
Replied by andrewhuk on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
where can i get a copy of this firmware for my Vigor 2030.

Thanks,
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Nov 2012 16:56 #20 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n

Andrewhuk wrote: where can i get a copy of this firmware for my Vigor 2030.

Thanks,
Andrew

You probably mean the 2830 and not the 2030...if yes then you may have contact support if will give you ..because that beta is mentioned up, is for 2820 model and will not work for other model...beside support may have newer beta as well

More
30 Nov 2012 18:31 #21 by spe
Replied by spe on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Hi amuren

You don't need to sell it, just be vey careful with what order you do things, and what case you use to enter some of the details into the config screens.

My 2820vn is working just fine using MER and connected from WAN2 to the BT VDSL modem. I pre-configured WAN2 and the Sky modem only came out of the box to get hold of the MAC address and generate the login details, it hasn't actually been connected to the VDSL modem at all.

As you probably know the default user and password fields in the 2820 firmware are not long enough for the full DHCP 61 string to be stored, so the BETA firmware is essential before you start.

The trick is to get the MER settings to use the long login details correctly. Its not obvious at all because they are on a different page.

Get the MAC address of the Sky router and the user ID and password for it first then....

I followed these steps, the sequence is important, and it will require two re-boots to get it right:

1. Set the WAN2 to enable PPPoE
2. Specify the SKY router's MAC address in the PPPOE page, bottom right. Upper case works fine in here.
3. Enter the Sky username in the Username field. Use "<lowercase_mac_address>@skydsl" e.g. "4c17eb549e2c@skydsl"
4. Enter the Sky generated password in the PPPoE screen Password field, keep the case as it was generated by the generator tool, use cut and paste if you can to avoid spelling errors.
5. Save the settings and reboot the router. It will not connect this time around - don't worry at this point.
6. Change the WAN2 mode to enable "Static or Dynamic IP". Note: Even though PPPoE has been disabled the username settings are still saved and will be used.
7. Ensure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is ticked.
8 Ensure that the Sky router's MAC address is Specified in the bottom right. Upper case works fine in here.
9 Select WAN detection mode as "ARP Detect"
10 Set MTU to 1442 (matched my Sky router)
11. Click OK and Reboot the 2820 if it doesn't prompt you for a re-boot.

On this re-boot the Router will send "username|password" as option 61 in any DHCP request. The string is coverted automatically into hex. The Sky MER DHCP server will respond because it has a valid request and you will be up and running.

You needed the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "ARP Detect" to get the DHCP sequence triggered, and the PPPoE Username and password cached to pass it on the DHCP request. The firmware interface is not helpful, but it does work when you know the correct sequence to use when driving it.

I've been running this way for a couple of months now, getting 37.5m down and 8.1m up.

The one configuration downside is that you will lose the WAN2 failover to USB modem support because WAN1 and WAN2 are not simply logical assignments, they have very different meanings to the firmware.

Good luck

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Dec 2012 16:45 #22 by amuren
Replied by amuren on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Thanks spe - very detailed post. I'll give this a try over the Christmas holidays in a quiet moment, and report back as to how I get on.

• amuren
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Dec 2012 17:49 #23 by amuren
Replied by amuren on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Hello spe,

I followed your instructions to the letter, but still no connection... :x Can I just check my firmware version is 3.3.7.2_RC3a, and the MAC address you refer to is the LAN MAC address from the label on the underside of the modem? I did log in to the Sky router to check but the MAC address reported was the same. This means that the first part of my username AND the MAC address entered seperately are identical - I assume this is correct?

Any help would be appreciated, but I'll have to stop now or I'll get into trouble being occupied on Christmas Eve.........hope to hear from you over the next couple of weeks!

Cheers

More
18 May 2013 14:58 #24 by lconnor
Replied by lconnor on topic Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited + 2820n
Amuren,

I have been trying to get this working as well, could you please send please PM me the 3.3.7.2_RC3a firmware ??

Thanks
Lee