Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jan 2021 13:04 #1 by pulck
Ever since there were outages on Sky broadband about a week ago, my download speeds have been slowing a crawl (around 2Mbps). I can resolve this by rebooting my Vigor 130 - the speed goes back up to around 55Mbps and stays like this for maybe 24 hours and then I have to reboot again. I know it's not good practice to constantly reboot, but I need decent speeds for work.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Some background info:

- I'm on Now TV fibre (which uses Sky network)
- I use the Vigor 130 as a modem (bridge mode) and my Asus RT-AC86U as a router (rebooting the router has no effect on the speed, by the way)
- I have enabled option 61 on the Vigor 130 in order to connect to Sky/NowTV network

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 15:56 #2 by adrianh54
Can you post a full set of stats from the Vigor130 ?

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 16:02 #3 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
Can you post a full set of stats from the Vigor130 ?

Yes, of course, if I'm able to.... I've found that when the Vigor 130 is in bridge mode, as mine is, the only way to access the web interface is to reset the router!

If I take the stats from a freshly reset router, will this still be of use in identifying the problem?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 16:12 #4 by hornbyp

pulck wrote:
Yes, of course, if I'm able to.... I've found that when the Vigor 130 is in bridge mode, as mine is, the only way to access the web interface is to reset the router!

See: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5212

The alternative is to give the Asus RT-AC86U an additional WAN IP address on the 192.168.2.0/24 network (which I believe is possible). Currently, any traffic for 192.168.2.1 is being sent to your ISP's Default Gateway. After a 'reset', there is a small window where the ISP's Default Gateway isn't accessible, which probably explains how your work-around works.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 16:17 #5 by pulck

hornbyp wrote:

The alternative is to give the Asus RT-AC86U an additional WAN IP address on the 192.168.2.0/24 network (which I believe is possible). Currently, any traffic for 192.168.2.1 is being sent to your ISP's Default Gateway.

Oh brilliant - thank you! I didn't know about this.

I'll give this a shot and report back when I got back into the Vigor's web interface.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2021 14:15 #6 by pulck

hornbyp wrote:

I've only just got round to trying to follow this guide, but I didn't have much luck.

When I set VLAN Tag insertion to '0' on the Vigor 130, I lost all internet connectivity. My understanding of this is very poor - I don't have any idea what VLAN is - and maybe internet connectivity will only be restored if my router is set up correctly. But the problem is that the guide is geared towards owners of Draytek routers and requires you to setup VLAN tag insertion and advanced WAN features on your router. I couldn't figure out any way to replicate these settings on my Asus router.

hornbyp wrote:
The alternative is to give the Asus RT-AC86U an additional WAN IP address on the 192.168.2.0/24 network (which I believe is possible). Currently, any traffic for 192.168.2.1 is being sent to your ISP's Default Gateway. After a 'reset', there is a small window where the ISP's Default Gateway isn't accessible, which probably explains how your work-around works.

Could you give me any more detail about this? I'm sorry my understanding is so poor, but I feel like I could only set up my router correctly if I understood what I'm trying to achieve!