Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2021 09:34 #13 by adrianh54

pulck wrote:
Ever since there were outages on Sky broadband about a week ago, my download speeds have been slowing a crawl (around 2Mbps). I can resolve this by rebooting my Vigor 130 - the speed goes back up to around 55Mbps and stays like this for maybe 24 hours and then I have to reboot again. I know it's not good practice to constantly reboot, but I need decent speeds for work.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Some background info:

- I'm on Now TV fibre (which uses Sky network)
- I use the Vigor 130 as a modem (bridge mode) and my Asus RT-AC86U as a router (rebooting the router has no effect on the speed, by the way)
- I have enabled option 61 on the Vigor 130 in order to connect to Sky/NowTV network

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

In this situation I would try with a different modem to check whether the fault is on the ISP side or your modem router set up before doing anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2021 22:21 #14 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
You can access the Vigor stats via 192.168.2.1 using your Asus router when the Vigor130 is in passthrough mode.

Switching to bridge mode removes the DHCP server from the equation.

Asus routers have a setting in GUI "WAN" named " Special ISP Requirements" , here you can choose " Allow VPN and DHCP Connection" turning that setting off and you will not be able to access the Vigor's web interface.

So , unless it is really necessary I would run the modem in its out of the box configuration.

Because I'm on the Sky network (well, specifically Now TV, but it's the same network) I have to use Option 60 and 61 to get internet connectivity. I followed instructions which said the modem needed to be in bridge mode.

I'm very unknowledgeable about these matters, but I'm guessing it's not possible to keep to an out of the box configuration with my setup?

(BTW I can't find the "Special ISP Requirements" setting on my Asus router. Is it possible this is because I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?)

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2021 22:28 #15 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
In this situation I would try with a different modem to check whether the fault is on the ISP side or your modem router set up before doing anything else.

Unfortunately, the only alternative I have at my disposal is the absolutely dreadful Now TV modem-router which has a very limited interface.

I'm fairly sure the problem lies with my modem-router setup which is unfortunate because I rely on certain features of the Asus router (for example, being able to throttle or prioritise certain devices in the household - my job requires me to send and receive large files and the current WFH situation has made the Asus absolutely invaluable in that respect.)

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 12:41 #16 by pulck
Sorry to revive this thread. I never resolved the problem of my original post and it's come back to haunt me.

Basically, my internet speed slows to a crawl (around 1-3mbps download) every now and again, until I reboot my Vigor 130. Then I'm back up to normal speed again (approx 50bmps download). I can't fathom why this would be.

However, I recently worked out how to maintain access to the Vigor's web interface and can now post stats.

Here's something I grabbed last time my speed slowed.

Any ideas what's up?

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 13:07 #17 by adrianh54
Get the next set of stats :

" vdsl status more " that will show the error counts. You have an odd entry there, the max attainable rate is less than the "actual rate" .

Your speed drop issue could be many things but I noticed a lot of people on SNB forums complaining of this "drop or freeze" on the later firmwares with several models.

Personally I have removed my AX92U router ( now set as an access point till I find something better) and replaced it with a Turris Omnia 2020 and all the recent issues I had with these freezes have gone. I think ASUS have tried to be too clever with the new devices and they are not up to scratch.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 13:49 #18 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
Get the next set of stats :

" vdsl status more " that will show the error counts. You have an odd entry there, the max attainable rate is less than the "actual rate" .

Your speed drop issue could be many things but I noticed a lot of people on SNB forums complaining of this "drop or freeze" on the later firmwares with several models.

Personally I have removed my AX92U router ( now set as an access point till I find something better) and replaced it with a Turris Omnia 2020 and all the recent issues I had with these freezes have gone. I think ASUS have tried to be too clever with the new devices and they are not up to scratch.

Thanks. I'm not sure this helps, since I just got these stats and I've rebooted my modem since the slowdown:

I will try to remember to get the stats again next time I have a slowdown.

What does the max attainable vs actual rate effectively mean? Is that irrelevant to the problem?

And are you saying my router is more likely to be an issue than my modem?