Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 14:57 #43 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
If you move there really shouldn't be much downtime, if any.

I use https://pulse8broadband.co.uk the service is excellent and if there is an issue they don't give up or pass you off with the usual excuses . They are a smaller ISP and they don't do scripts or call centres, you get to speak to real people, often the owner.

No contracts even on FTTP/H , nothing hidden and everything clearly laid out , certainly worth a look. Their connections also have a higher repair level than standard so you get a faster resolve time.

Thanks. They look good but sadly not available in my area (are they based in Devon?).

I'll keep looking around though. I've heard good things about Zen but they are 12 month contract only, which is a bit annoying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2021 17:37 #44 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

That's the speed my Vigor 130 says is available during a slowdown. But if I test my actual speed during a slowdown, using e.g. speedtest.net, it will report something like 1-5mbps download speed. Upload speed strangely remains constant even during most slowdowns, around 18mpbs.

During slowdowns, wifi devices in my household struggle to work.

Then I reboot my Vigor and everything is back to normal.

So my quest (!) is to establish what is causing the problem. I originally thought the fact that rebooting my Vigor was resolving the issue meant that the Vigor was the culprit.

So as I thought the Vigor is showing that you have (apparently!) a high download speed but a speedtest site says otherwise :?

Summat ain't right somewhere :?:

I'd be wary of rebooting the 130 too often - that way interleaving lies :roll:

(BTW, pretty sure I have in the past (can't remember whether it was on a 2860 or 2862) seen "Actual Rate" higher than "Attainable rate", impossible as it may be :shock: )

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 21:31 #45 by pulck

Piste Basher wrote:
So as I thought the Vigor is showing that you have (apparently!) a high download speed but a speedtest site says otherwise

Summat ain't right somewhere

Is the figure the Vigor shows reliable? I assumed it was a historical maximum.

Piste Basher wrote:
I'd be wary of rebooting the 130 too often - that way interleaving lies :roll:

(BTW, pretty sure I have in the past (can't remember whether it was on a 2860 or 2862) seen "Actual Rate" higher than "Attainable rate", impossible as it may be :shock: )

I have no choice. Until I reboot the 130, I can't work.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
08 Mar 2021 08:36 #46 by adrianh54

The stats are all live results, not historical. Max achievable rate is what the DSLAM is reporting at that time.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Mar 2021 10:39 #47 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:

The stats are all live results, not historical. Max achievable rate is what the DSLAM is reporting at that time.

I had to look up DSLAM.

So, as I understand it, this rate is what my exchange thinks I should be maxing out at. In other words, could be very different from real-world max rate.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
08 Mar 2021 13:01 #48 by adrianh54
Not quite, that is the lines max possible throughput, what you attain is always a bit less than that.