DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

More
07 Mar 2021 12:45 #37 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot
I'm a bit puzzled here - looking at your post of Feb 17 where you show the shot of your status - "something I grabbed after the speed slowed" - (not sure why it shows adsl status but still) it looks to me as though you have a download speed of around 70 Mb/s. (Wish I could get that!)

Is that truly "after the slowdown"? If it is, then what exactly is it that's slowing?

If that shot is after a reboot, do you have any shots of the status when it's slow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 12:48 #38 by adrianh54
You could use "tracert" to see what is happening re packet loss.

When things slow down open a Command Prompt : type tracert -h 10 bbc.co.uk (you can try other addresses too)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-use-tracert-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows-e643d72b-2f4f-cdd6-09a0-fd2989c7ca8e

That should show up any issues. You can copy the results and have them as evidence.

As to the ISP tell them you have tried with both routers.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 12:55 #39 by adrianh54

Piste Basher wrote:
I'm a bit puzzled here - looking at your post of Feb 17 where you show the shot of your status - "something I grabbed after the speed slowed" - (not sure why it shows adsl status but still) it looks to me as though you have a download speed of around 70 Mb/s. (Wish I could get that!)

Is that truly "after the slowdown"? If it is, then what exactly is it that's slowing?

If that shot is after a reboot, do you have any shots of the status when it's slow?

That screen grab was after the reboot , if you look the Max attainable rate is lower than the actual rate which is obviously impossible.

ADSL is there because the V130 will give you stats using the old command instead of Vdsl status.

What I am seeing is identical to the problems I had for 11 months on my line. That was caused by the port on the FTTTC cabinet being faulty. I was using UNO ISP then and the user dash board was showing "disconnects many times per day with the reason being "PORT ERROR" . Nobody was interested in correcting it so I moved ISP and Pulse8 got their teeth into it and it was fixed with one visit.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 13:31 #40 by pulck

Piste Basher wrote:

That's the speed my Vigor 130 says is available during a slowdown. But if I test my actual speed during a slowdown, using e.g. speedtest.net, it will report something like 1-5mbps download speed. Upload speed strangely remains constant even during most slowdowns, around 18mpbs.

During slowdowns, wifi devices in my household struggle to work.

Then I reboot my Vigor and everything is back to normal.

So my quest (!) is to establish what is causing the problem. I originally thought the fact that rebooting my Vigor was resolving the issue meant that the Vigor was the culprit.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 13:36 #41 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
You could use "tracert" to see what is happening re packet loss.

When things slow down open a Command Prompt : type tracert -h 10 bbc.co.uk (you can try other addresses too)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-use-tracert-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows-e643d72b-2f4f-cdd6-09a0-fd2989c7ca8e

That should show up any issues. You can copy the results and have them as evidence.

As to the ISP tell them you have tried with both routers.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

AdrianH54 wrote:
That screen grab was after the reboot , if you look the Max attainable rate is lower than the actual rate which is obviously impossible.

ADSL is there because the V130 will give you stats using the old command instead of Vdsl status.

What I am seeing is identical to the problems I had for 11 months on my line. That was caused by the port on the FTTTC cabinet being faulty. I was using UNO ISP then and the user dash board was showing "disconnects many times per day with the reason being "PORT ERROR" . Nobody was interested in correcting it so I moved ISP and Pulse8 got their teeth into it and it was fixed with one visit.

Oh, that's useful to know. I'm tempted to move ISPs myself, but I cannot risk any downtime because my remote work relies on a connection. (Also, I'm not sure which ISPs are any good. Suggestions welcome.)

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 13:45 #42 by adrianh54
If you move there really shouldn't be much downtime, if any.

I use https://pulse8broadband.co.uk the service is excellent and if there is an issue they don't give up or pass you off with the usual excuses . They are a smaller ISP and they don't do scripts or call centres, you get to speak to real people, often the owner.

No contracts even on FTTP/H , nothing hidden and everything clearly laid out , certainly worth a look. Their connections also have a higher repair level than standard so you get a faster resolve time.