Vigor 130 - slow download speeds until reboot

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2021 13:18 #31 by adrianh54

pulck wrote:
A new BQM snapshot:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e0a0e6f933dae45d3727592f7cd8733b34e07dd4-02-03-2021

Does this tell me anything?

Looks pretty good, you have low pings at present , the yellow /blue lump @ 10-11pm looks like a download.

Keep it running, if/when you get issues we may be able to see a line issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2021 13:23 #32 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
Looks pretty good, you have low pings at present , the yellow /blue lump @ 10-11pm looks like a download.

Keep it running, if/when you get issues we may be able to see a line issue.

That's great. Many thanks.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2021 08:39 #33 by pulck
Another slowdown. Must've happened overnight.

Before I rebooted my Vigor, this time I grabbed a full set of stats:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/38122d5258667cf2b01e4829edb3be9309b3743a-05-03-2021

[EDIT: I've just realised the above graph is meaningless, as I didn't change it from my old IP address.]

Any ideas?

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Mar 2021 15:35 #34 by pulck
Yet another slowdown today, although not quite as bad. (I did a speedtest and download is maxing out at 6-10mbps. I normally get 50mbps.)

Anyway, here's another full set of stats:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5befe3c35f311043dae2fab56f4cc41a57057283-06-03-2021

[This one should be correct!]

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
06 Mar 2021 19:23 #35 by adrianh54
That is down to your ISP to sort out, the FTTC cabinet could be faulty , maybe port errors , they do die after a while.

Your TBB image clearly shows packet loss, the red spikes across the top of the graph.
You'll also see your ping times have nearly doubled.

Your first TBB image showed pings @6db and your SNR was 5 , given those figures you must be close to the cabinet so I would expect your speeds to be higher than you have been getting.

There is definitely a fault there and we can see the max achievable and actual speeds are wrong.

What you need is an engineer visit and show them all the stats and images.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2021 11:09 #36 by pulck

AdrianH54 wrote:
That is down to your ISP to sort out, the FTTC cabinet could be faulty , maybe port errors , they do die after a while.

Your TBB image clearly shows packet loss, the red spikes across the top of the graph.
You'll also see your ping times have nearly doubled.

Your first TBB image showed pings @6db and your SNR was 5 , given those figures you must be close to the cabinet so I would expect your speeds to be higher than you have been getting.

There is definitely a fault there and we can see the max achievable and actual speeds are wrong.

What you need is an engineer visit and show them all the stats and images.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

So if I phone up my ISP - Now TV, which uses the Sky network - what should I say to encourage them to send out an engineer? Is it enough to say that I've been testing the line with TBB and I can see a lot of packet loss?

I know they will be difficult to convince. I've called them before saying I experience slowdowns and they say there is nothing wrong from their end.

Plus, in their terms and conditions they state that they only support customers who use their own router (it's terrible so obviously I don't) but I will probably have to plug it back in in order to get any sort of support from them.

Anyway, I'll give it a go. But if you have any thoughts about how I might convince them, I'd be very grateful.

And thank you so much @AdrianH54] for your help so far.

EDIT:

Just to muddy things a little, does this latest graph show lower packet loss since yesterday?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0d4a47e3032e0304847ece113c88143d3946ec59-07-03-2021