DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 UK.

• mr sleeps
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jan 2021 22:11 #1 by mr sleeps
Vigor 166 UK. was created by mr sleeps
Got this little bad boy delivered today, has anyone had any luck getting it working? No matter what I do the DSL light just keeps flashing and fails to connect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2021 05:50 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
How are you trying to use it? Modem bridge, modem passthrough or router ?

Which ISP and service? Have you downloaded the Quick Start Guide and User manual ?

More
16 Jan 2021 10:20 #3 by onion
Replied by onion on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
I got mine working, but I and a number of others (on another forum) are having total disasters with it on non-g.fast lines. We've got support tickets open but there is something fundamentally wrong with these modems/firmware. The vdsl status outputs are not to be trusted at all. (they all report 0 errors when in reality its far from it) They are causing SNRM targets to be worsened daily and tanking the line sync speeds. I've lost about 10mb, others have lost more. I've taken the modem out now and back to the old one awaiting a response from Draytek. MTU changes make no difference as suggested by others.

On your specific point, I'm assuming you got the 166-K model for UK lines? Otherwise it wont work. If you got off amazon that is the EU varient and wont work. I wouldnt recommend this modem at all at the minute though, its super buggy and almost pre-beta. I'm waiting to see what support have to say, but I may have to send it back unless they can get a new firmware out in the next week or so.

• killhippie
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2021 11:39 #4 by killhippie
Replied by killhippie on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
Changing my MTU stopped my thoughput drops and on the specs for the 166-K it now says max mtu 1508. As to new firmware I'm happy to wait as what I can do with 10MB less exactly I did before, there is more to life than your throughput I feel at this time. Having spent years watching people moan about 4mb losses etc and not getting what they pay for throughput wise I find it all a bit tedious. (no offence to anyone here) We are in the middle of a pandemic which is effecting the whole industry, so pusing for quick for updates is probably not feasible and I would rather a proper fix than a rushed one. You cant push out updates in a week to equipment that covers many so countries quickly anyway.

• mszune
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2021 11:24 #5 by mszune
Replied by mszune on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
Hi all,
Can someone help me log into the 166 so as to upgrade the firmware to the latest 4.1.1_BT?

No matter what I do via ethernet or attempt to access the 166 via my network using 192.168.2.1 or any other IP address brooadcasted online I cannot access the log in page.

TIA

More
30 Jan 2021 12:53 #6 by iansbrooks
Replied by iansbrooks on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
@mszune

The simplest way to do it is to connect the ethernet directly in to your pc/laptop ethernet port, turn on your pc/laptop and visit 192.168.2.1.

Once done, unplug it from your pc/laptop, move it to where you need it to be.

Hopefully this helps a little bit.