DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 UK.

More
18 Mar 2021 18:40 #31 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
Well got the 2nd BT line installed today. Tried the 166 and it kept resyncing. So set it up for iptv https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge and it seemed stable enough.
This evening setup it up on 3910 and it resynced after a few minutes. Swapped it out for 130 and this also resynced after a few minutes so maybe being harsh on the 166. I think I'll flash it to the uK firmware and have a play this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mszune
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2021 16:19 #32 by mszune
Replied by mszune on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

smallal wrote:

mszune wrote:
Hi all,
Can someone help me log into the 166 so as to upgrade the firmware to the latest 4.1.1_BT?

No matter what I do via ethernet or attempt to access the 166 via my network using 192.168.2.1 or any other IP address brooadcasted online I cannot access the log in page.

TIA

If you have a UK model V166-K you don't need to upgrade it as the sticker on the box (4_0_5_BT) is wrong.
They were all upgraded to 4_1_1_BT at the factory prior to shipping.
As for accessing the menus, this may help as it shows how to set a static IP in Windows which is what you need.
https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/#static_ip_controlpanel_windows10
Connect directly between PC/laptop & modem with a cable (NOT VIA ROUTER!).
The 3 settings you need to enter are:
IP address 192.168.2.10
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.2.1

Once saved open a web search & type 192.168.2.1 into the address box to get to the log-on page.
Don't forget to switch from STATIC back to AUTO afterwards.
NOTE: If you have the EU version the IP address is different
Use IP address 192.168.1.10 & Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Only just come across this post that loks to been updated from logging an issue vai the Draytek help pages.

Anyways, just to update you all my Vigor 166 did not ship with the 4_1_1_BT firmware as stated above, it came with 4_0_5_BT as displayed on the box from Broadband Buyer.
Numerous attempts to access the web interface failed as the firmware was corrupt requiring a reflash via TFTP to the new 4_1_1_BT firmware, my FTTC connection suffered significantly dropping from 71mb down to just 45mb and so I made the decission to return the Vigor 166 and rely on my trusty Vigor 130.

Unsure what was the issue with the 166, although somewhat odd that it never worked out of the box from day 1 requiring a TFTP firmware upgrade.
I have read somewhere that the new Vigor 130 3.8.4.1_BT firmware is not ideal for an ECI cabinet and I should consider using the alternative 3.8.4.1 firmware, is this correct, can somebody please confirm???

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2021 18:40 #33 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
Yes, use the alternative firmware for the ECI cabinet , it will save you a lot of grief.

More
21 Mar 2021 14:28 #34 by smallal
Replied by smallal on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

mszune wrote:

smallal wrote:

mszune wrote:
Hi all,
Can someone help me log into the 166 so as to upgrade the firmware to the latest 4.1.1_BT?

No matter what I do via ethernet or attempt to access the 166 via my network using 192.168.2.1 or any other IP address brooadcasted online I cannot access the log in page.

TIA

If you have a UK model V166-K you don't need to upgrade it as the sticker on the box (4_0_5_BT) is wrong.
They were all upgraded to 4_1_1_BT at the factory prior to shipping.
As for accessing the menus, this may help as it shows how to set a static IP in Windows which is what you need.
https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/#static_ip_controlpanel_windows10
Connect directly between PC/laptop & modem with a cable (NOT VIA ROUTER!).
The 3 settings you need to enter are:
IP address 192.168.2.10
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.2.1

Once saved open a web search & type 192.168.2.1 into the address box to get to the log-on page.
Don't forget to switch from STATIC back to AUTO afterwards.
NOTE: If you have the EU version the IP address is different
Use IP address 192.168.1.10 & Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Only just come across this post that loks to been updated from logging an issue vai the Draytek help pages.

Anyways, just to update you all my Vigor 166 did not ship with the 4_1_1_BT firmware as stated above, it came with 4_0_5_BT as displayed on the box from Broadband Buyer.
Numerous attempts to access the web interface failed as the firmware was corrupt requiring a reflash via TFTP to the new 4_1_1_BT firmware, my FTTC connection suffered significantly dropping from 71mb down to just 45mb and so I made the decission to return the Vigor 166 and rely on my trusty Vigor 130.

Unsure what was the issue with the 166, although somewhat odd that it never worked out of the box from day 1 requiring a TFTP firmware upgrade.
I have read somewhere that the new Vigor 130 3.8.4.1_BT firmware is not ideal for an ECI cabinet and I should consider using the alternative 3.8.4.1 firmware, is this correct, can somebody please confirm???

Wow, how did that happen, DrayTek must have missed one!
I got mine from the 1st batch into the UK & it had 4.1.1.BT already loaded.
Indeed DrayTek UK say that 4.1.1.BT is the initial release & don't even mention 4.0.5.BT
I'm sure we're all now hoping for a new release soon that actually works properly!

More
23 Mar 2021 10:49 #35 by smallal
Replied by smallal on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
New official firmware release v4.2.3 for the EU model V166-A has been released.
https://fw.draytek.com.tw/Vigor166/Firmware/v4.2.3/
Nothing yet on the UK site.

• killhippie
  • User
  • User
More
23 Mar 2021 11:12 #36 by killhippie
Replied by killhippie on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
I get the feeling this firmware wont sort out the severe upload spikes, it would be great if it did but I don't want to be the first to try the UK version I have to say when its released.