DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 UK.

• lewzer
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 10:48 #13 by lewzer
Replied by lewzer on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
I'm about to return mine since its literally shredded my line and I've not heard anything back really with regards to firmware, I tried RC1 and RC2, both display zero information on VDSL status and changing the SNR causes the device to cease completely (same as it does with 4.1.1), it's as good as a paperweight at this stage, it's definitely nice kit but the firmware is really holding it back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2021 11:17 #14 by smallal
Replied by smallal on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
With regard to using an EU model in the UK, it will work but needs a manual tweak to do so
Service VLAN TAG is disabled by default but needs to be enabled & set to 101 for it to connect (disable customer VLAN)
Also, not really a problem but jumbo frames aren't supported as the EU firmware only allows a max MTU=1500 (1508 is needed)
Both of these are sorted on the UK models firmware.
Unfortunately DrayTek have blocked the EU model from accepting a UK firmware upgrade

More
25 Feb 2021 11:30 #15 by smallal

admin wrote:

Lewzer wrote:
TL:DR Is there a firmware for the 166 which allows for SNR value changes and actually reports error amounts on the VDSL status page? :-(

The TL;DR is meant to go at the start.... :-)

Yet another bug, setting the target SNR via the SNR command in the CLI should work, but it doesn't!
It says it's worked & reboots but won't connect. Power cycling the unit makes things worse as P1 & P2 then die!
Luckily the reset button restores normality.
It's been tried on the UK model + GEN1 & GEN2 versions of the EU model using stock & beta firmware but they all crash.

• lewzer
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 11:58 #16 by lewzer
Replied by lewzer on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

smallal wrote:

Yet another bug, setting the target SNR via the SNR command in the CLI should work, but it doesn't!
It says it's worked & reboots but won't connect. Power cycling the unit makes things worse as P1 & P2 then die!
Luckily the reset button restores normality.
It's been tried on the UK model + GEN1 & GEN2 versions of the EU model using stock & beta firmware but they all crash.

Yeah I'm using the UK one, it literally reports "0" "0" on both SNR values in red after trying to manually change it and then I have to reset it entirely. I'm still in the process of waiting for interleaving to sod off, my ping went from 5ms to 14 and then 24, soon as it hit 24ms I had to remove it, I was literally sitting blind whilst it does however many errors a day and the DSLAM just slaps me. Got the vigor 130 back in, now I'm back to 14ms after 3 days but I guess I need to wait another week for 5ms /wrists.

More
25 Feb 2021 12:17 #17 by smallal
Considering the fact that the EU GEN1 version has been out for several months (& had 3 firmware releases) before the UK version was even released, DrayTek seem to have made a bit of a dogs dinner with the firmware.
Even the new GEN2 version, just released in the EU, suffers from all the problems seen in the EU & UK GEN1 versions.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 12:53 #18 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

smallal wrote:
Considering the fact that the EU GEN1 version has been out for several months (& had 3 firmware releases) before the UK version was even released, DrayTek seem to have made a bit of a dogs dinner with the firmware.
Even the new GEN2 version, just released in the EU, suffers from all the problems seen in the EU & UK GEN1 versions.

The release of the Vigor130 was much the same, it took a long time to get a firmware that didn't have serious issues and for many on Huawei cabinets was totally unusable.