DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 UK.

More
31 Jan 2021 18:19 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
.....as it says on Page 5 of the user guide. Sometimes it helps to read the manual :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lewzer
  • User
  • User
More
09 Feb 2021 10:36 #8 by lewzer
Replied by lewzer on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
Hello All,

I seldom make forum posts or create accounts to do so but latency is very important to me :-) I recently got the 166 upgrading over the 130 which I've had for years, quick brief, I'm on an ECI cab, VDSL2 FTTC with BT and through years of testing and tweaking found alternative modem firmware worked best with the vigor 130, I constantly get 5ms pings to most game servers UK based.

Now I recently purchased the 166 for future proofing and just wanting to try something new. I initially used it in router mode (since I have this as a dedicated gaming line for 1 machine, wanted to see how much I could reduce the latency by being more direct) immediately after 1days use I lost 6mb down, but I don't care about throughput, its the latency, so I cant see any errors at all, everything reports "0" on VDSL status. But I can see it dropped the connection every 15hours or so, I briefly tried hardwareacceleration on UDP and that was pretty rapid for games but immediately my connection was dropping every hour, so I turned this back off. Again all seemed okish (aside from the 15hour drop out interval) until Monday the DSLAM hit me with interleaving, so now all my pings have doubled, now 14ms up from 5ms no longer fast path.

So two major things, one is I cannot for the life of me see any CRC errors etc on the VDSL status, exactly as onion describes in an earlier post (Draytek please get the firmware working so I can guage what works and what doesn't!) two is I tried increasing the SNR manually as I know this will reduce errors and would restore my super low ping (again I know it would also reduce my throughput but I don't mind, I'd rather have 100% trasmittion of bullets in games than 80%) however it killed the vigor 166 entirely, it set the SNR to "0" (when I was trying to increase it to 11) and the line went dead and I had no means of getting it back, no matter what values I manually tried to force for SNR, it was stuck at 0, I had to fully reset the device to get it functioning again.

Currently for your information as others may find this helpful, I am now using it in bridge mode only and using the 2nd modem code, ending in "_14", it was and defaults to the modem code ending in "_05", I figured since I had to use alt code on the 130, perhaps the same applies here. So far the connection has been stable for over 24hours, but I still cant see the errors or manually adujust the SNR so I cant actually guage if its better or not and I will probably have to wait another 2days before the DSLAM potentially puts me back on fast path (im still getting 14ms at present with interleaving).

TL:DR Is there a firmware for the 166 which allows for SNR value changes and actually reports error amounts on the VDSL status page? :-(

Kind regards,
Lewzer

• mike.smith
  • User
  • User
More
10 Feb 2021 10:00 #9 by mike.smith
Replied by mike.smith on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
My 166 is working a treat, trouble is I could not login for love nor money. I tried to login before connecting it all up so I could install the new firmware but at no point did let me in. I was connected directly into it getting a 1gb line ok but neither dhcp or manual set up would let me into it.
When I connected it up to the router and dsl line it jumped into life with no problems at all. However, I though the second lan port was to enable direct login whilst it’s running and I just cannot get that connect to the pc to work.

More
12 Feb 2021 00:39 #10 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

Lewzer wrote:
TL:DR Is there a firmware for the 166 which allows for SNR value changes and actually reports error amounts on the VDSL status page? :-(

The TL;DR is meant to go at the start.... :-)

Forum Administrator

• lewzer
  • User
  • User
More
12 Feb 2021 01:07 #11 by lewzer
Replied by lewzer on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.
I'm dyslexic :p

More
25 Feb 2021 10:37 #12 by smallal
Replied by smallal on topic Re: Vigor 166 UK.

mszune wrote:
Hi all,
Can someone help me log into the 166 so as to upgrade the firmware to the latest 4.1.1_BT?

No matter what I do via ethernet or attempt to access the 166 via my network using 192.168.2.1 or any other IP address brooadcasted online I cannot access the log in page.

TIA

If you have a UK model V166-K you don't need to upgrade it as the sticker on the box (4_0_5_BT) is wrong.
They were all upgraded to 4_1_1_BT at the factory prior to shipping.
As for accessing the menus, this may help as it shows how to set a static IP in Windows which is what you need.
https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/#static_ip_controlpanel_windows10
Connect directly between PC/laptop & modem with a cable (NOT VIA ROUTER!).
The 3 settings you need to enter are:
IP address 192.168.2.10
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.2.1

Once saved open a web search & type 192.168.2.1 into the address box to get to the log-on page.
Don't forget to switch from STATIC back to AUTO afterwards.
NOTE: If you have the EU version the IP address is different
Use IP address 192.168.1.10 & Default gateway 192.168.1.1