DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2927AC Fixed IP comment corrupted and reboots with v4.4.5 firmware

More
27 Mar 2024 13:48 #1 by ianq
Is anyone else having problems after updating to v4.4.5?

I upgraded to v4.4.5 today. After the reboot I was able to log in to the router and browse the settings looking for any changes. I spotted that the Comment entries for the fixed IP addresses had been corrupted. The Comments should only be 12 characters long but now had 15 characters, with the first 3 characters from the next Comment added at the end!
Then the router crashed and rebooted. After it rebooted it appeared to work with internet access etc, but if I logged in to it the login page only partly loaded, the top section with the Auto logout bit didn't show. Then it crashed and rebooted again. This kept happening, at least 9 times, even though the setting to restore the previous firmware after 3 reboots was set! Eventually I had to reset to factory. The login page then worked ok and showed it was on 4.4.5 firmware. I reload the v4.4.3 firmware, which was what it was on before the upgrade to v4.4.5, and then restored my backed up configuration and it all worked as normal.

I then upgraded the firmware to v4.4.3.1 which worked without any issues. I hadn't updated to this version previously as the changes were minor and not important for me. I have updated the firmware lots of times before without any problems.

I did spot that the firmware notes said it was the first firmware for the new 2927Lax-5G router, so wonder if they have increased the Comment field to 15 characters but not mentioned it in the notes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2024 15:39 #2 by piste basher
I have a 2927ax which I upgraded to 4.4.5 a few days ago. I hadn't noticed that the Bound IP comments had changed but now I've looked and they are showing as yours do.

I haven't experienced any of the other issues that you mention.

More
27 Mar 2024 16:41 #3 by ianq
Thanks for checking.

Thinking about it, as I had been able to initially look through all of the Menu options without the router rebooting, the reboot problem may have only started after I spotted that the Comments entries were corrupted and edited one. I think that after spoting the corruption I edited one of them to remove the added 3 characters and saved it? Then the reboot problem started.

When I feel brave and have some spare time I may upgrade to v4.4.5 again and not make any changes to the configuration and wait and see if the reboot problem appears.

If it doesn't then I'll try either restoring a copy of the IP Bind list backed up from the router running the v4.4.31 firmware, which isn't corrupted. Or backing up the v4.4.5 corrupted IP Bind List, editing the Comment field back to 12 characters and then restoring it. But if the v4.4.5 firmware now allows 15 characters, restoring one with only 12 characters may corrupt it anyway?

Looking at the contents of the IP Bind List backup from v4.4.5 it has 15 characters in the Comment field, with no space for additional characters. The IP Bind List backup from v4.4.31 only has 12 characters, with no space for the extra 3 characters to fit into. Does this mean that v4.4.5 does now allow 15 characters to be entered? Or has it somehow garbled the Comment entry which is causing it to reboot if it's edited?

What is puzzling however is why the router didn't fallback to the v4.4.3 firmware after 3 reboots as it was meant to. I remember a long time ago, soon after I purchased the router, a much earlier firmware upgrade caused a reboot cycle and the router did fallback to the previous firmware version. So why didn't it now?

Of course if you're feeling brave, or foolish?, you could try editing one of the Comments in your IP Bind list and see if you then get the reboot problem!

• HodgesanDY
  • Away
More
27 Mar 2024 19:13 #4 by HodgesanDY
Interesting, after the upgrade to 4.4.5, my comment field now shows ‘Max: 11 characters’ in the comments field before typing anything, whereas before the upgrade, it shows ‘Max: 12 characters’! I have a few 2927s and not all are updated yet.

Since the upgrade, which did involve a physical power cycle, they have been fine.

More
30 Mar 2024 08:46 #5 by piste basher
I've found a rather more serious (for me) glitch with 4.4.5 - my 2927ax acts as mesh root for 3 AP906's - now on the Mesh Basic Sync and Advanced Sync pages the lists of parameters are there but with 4.4.5 there are no boxes to select which parameters to sync and no overall "button" to actually perform a sync.

I've reverted to 4.4.3.1 - now I have the sync options back and IP comments are no longer corrupted.

• neil201
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2024 22:22 #6 by neil201

ianq wrote:
Is anyone else having problems after updating to v4.4.5?

I upgraded to v4.4.5 today. After the reboot I was able to log in to the router and browse the settings looking for any changes. I spotted that the Comment entries for the fixed IP addresses had been corrupted. The Comments should only be 12 characters long but now had 15 characters, with the first 3 characters from the next Comment added at the end!
Then the router crashed and rebooted. After it rebooted it appeared to work with internet access etc, but if I logged in to it the login page only partly loaded, the top section with the Auto logout bit didn't show. Then it crashed and rebooted again. This kept happening, at least 9 times, even though the setting to restore the previous firmware after 3 reboots was set! Eventually I had to reset to factory. The login page then worked ok and showed it was on 4.4.5 firmware. I reload the v4.4.3 firmware, which was what it was on before the upgrade to v4.4.5, and then restored my backed up configuration and it all worked as normal.

I then upgraded the firmware to v4.4.3.1 which worked without any issues. I hadn't updated to this version previously as the changes were minor and not important for me. I have updated the firmware lots of times before without any problems.

I did spot that the firmware notes said it was the first firmware for the new 2927Lax-5G router, so wonder if they have increased the Comment field to 15 characters but not mentioned it in the notes?

I upgraded one of my 2927's to 4.4.5 over the weekend, the GUI was partially non-responsive and the virtual display, showing what the LEDs etc on the physical Router show, didn't display correctly afterwards when logging in. It kept dropping the PPPoE connection (my ISP is Plusnet), an issue I've not experienced before. Downgraded back to v4.4.3.1 and the Router is working perfectly again. Some of my LAN to LAN VPN's on 4.4.5 also wouldn't reconnect, more so the ones with outbound connections from the Router rather than sites which 'dial in' to my 2927. My model is the straight 2927, without WLAN or LTE.