DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

My Wireless and DHCP 2820 problems FIXED!

More
22 May 2009 15:43 #55 by northerngit
Replied by northerngit on topic My Wireless and DHCP 2820 problems FIXED!
To clarify - as no one here appears to know what's going on:

Hello James,

Thank you for letting us know that firmware has been working
correctly.

It is not a beta firmware, and also it's not a formal release yet.

Regards,

Barry

http://www.support.draytek.co.uk

Hi Barry,

Thank you for the response - the firmware has been working for a
number of days without issue! Can you confirm this is not a beta
firmware but in fact a final release? And if so when it will be made
available to the UK support website?

Regards,

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 08:42 #56 by admin
Replied by admin on topic My Wireless and DHCP 2820 problems FIXED!
Firmware 3.1.1.2 is now a formal release; downloadable from the web site. I hope it's working well for you now (if not, tellum!)

Forum Administrator

More
30 May 2009 23:46 #57 by andynormancx
Replied by andynormancx on topic My Wireless and DHCP 2820 problems FIXED!
I've just bought a 2820n and I have to say DHCP + wifi is hopeless on it. Even with FW 3.3.1.2 it doesn't work well for me.

With WPA/WPA2 mixed mode our iPhones couldn't get a DHCP response from the router. With it set to WPA my Squeezebox Duet Receiver couldn't get a DHCP response from the router.

Even when I gave up on using the DHCP server on the router, the Squeezebox still couldn't get a DHCP response via wifi using WPA when the response was coming from my Linux server.

In the end I had to give up, set the router to WPA/WPA2 mixed and hand off the job of DHCP server to my Linux box. I'm a little saddened that my new £160 router couldn't cope with the seemingly simple task of being a DHCP server over wifi.

I can't say I'm surprised though, it seems like most of the consumer hardware out there also can't cope as soon as you start pushing even a little beyond the basics.

Over the last year we added 6 new devices to our wifi network (2 x iPhones, 4 x Squeezeboxes) and it became immediately obvious that my Linksys WAP54G simply couldn't cope with that many devices. It would randomly drop one of the devices from the network, to fix it you'd have to either disable/enable wifi on the device or restart the device.

So I bought a Thomson TG585n to replace the WAP and my Netgear ADSL router (which had been working fine, but I fancied a single box solution).

The Thomson was a complete disaster. It's web UI threw away changes when it felt like it (I discovered in the end that it didn't like spaces in firewall rule names and the like). It also had DHCP problems, it would just stop serving requests to devices, much like the Linksys, but in that case you needed to restart the router to restore service. I also discovered that it just couldn't cope with routing http traffic while also dealing with a high bittorrent load (with the bittorrent bandwidth restricted at the PC end to way below the line speed). It had various other serious issues to dull to go into here.

Sorry, a bit of a rant for a first post. I've had a lousy couple of months with these routers/waps and I expected the Vigor to be different.

Moderators: Sami