DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

More
21 Jul 2020 18:00 #19 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Well no issues for four days can it make five days.

At the moment I wouldn't recommend the 3910 not until a few firmware upgrades have been and gone.

You maybe better looking at a router built around pfsense was going to buy the netgate sg1000 but your requirements look to be beyond that. They do have other units though it's worth you having a look. Problem when you start wondering up beyond dual wan the market gets more limited and more expensive.

I only opted for the draytek due to price and the through put would keep me going for years. I expected it to be buggy after my 2960 experience which went from an expensive brick to a very good bit of kit after a few firmware upgrades.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jul 2020 20:31 #20 by netjet1980
Replied by netjet1980 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Yes :( I started looking at a pfsense solution as an alternative, was hoping to have something small and silent under the TV, that could be easily migrated over to a rack when we move house, so the 3910 looked perfect. The netgate appliances suitable are quite pricey, might end up with a DIY pfsense box. I will keep an eye on the thread and see how you guys get on.

The other thing I considered was getting myself a 2nd hand 3900 off ebay for the moment. Anyone had bad experience with those things?

I really would have hoped, that Draytek managed to get this thing relatively stable after all this time. I mean it has not been released yesterday after all!

More
23 Jul 2020 19:18 #21 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
3900 like the 2960 so will have all the major bugs sorted out long ago. The only downside is the 1000 through put which if you keep adding extra wan connections could quickly be reached. One the reasons why I moved from 2960 to 3910 rather than the 3900.

Right it's been six days since I've lost connection tot he internet. It seems the culrpit was clear DHCP lease for inactive clients periodically under the lan settings. Either that or I've been lucky.

More
25 Jul 2020 11:41 #22 by quantum explorer
Replied by quantum explorer on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Post in error

More
25 Jul 2020 11:43 #23 by quantum explorer

Netjet1980 wrote:
The other thing I considered was getting myself a 2nd hand 3900 off ebay for the moment. Anyone had bad experience with those things?

Currently managing around 120 of them at various locations, running 1.5.1.1 (after a recent 'Critical Update' - these always make me nervous).

Rock solid performers. However, it wasn't always like that. Initially they had many problems, Certificate errors, IPSec VPN faults and so on, but with progressive firmware iterations, they have matured into stable production devices. Sure, still a few minor irritations, but workarounds cover them.

Seems to be a pattern here with Draytek - launch a new product, over time iron out all the bugs, perfect the platform and discontinue! Why? To my mind two reasons, of course more sales selling new devices, but perhaps more importantly and in defence of DrayTek, the Internet / Networks are evolving and yesterdays kit gradually cannot cope with today's demands - Moore's law and all that....

One word of warning though - the interface is Linux and not Dray OS. If you have not used this before, it will take you a while to get your head around it, but I find it more logical than Dray OS (which I support and use as well) and, far more stable, especially with none of the 'reboot to apply' a minor config change. To give you an idea, you could take a look at the DrayTek simulator:

http://60.250.189.150:3900/

Finally a disclaimer - firmware - one change can throw everything out of the window... always keep backups of config and previous firmware...

Hope this helps....

More
25 Jul 2020 12:07 #24 by quantum explorer

The PIT wrote:
Right it's been six days since I've lost connection tot he internet. It seems the culrpit was clear DHCP lease for inactive clients periodically under the lan settings. Either that or I've been lucky.

That's interesting - this was a problem with the 3900's on day one - fixed after a couple of firmware iterations (now works fine on 3900). Wonder if you can make it to two weeks...! Thank you for sharing.