DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

More
15 Nov 2020 22:44 #73 by robbo_bfc
Replied by robbo_bfc on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Have a 3910 connected to a Gamma 1Gb circuit via SFP+ (to ADVA), and having performance problems. DL and UL speeds vary greatly, ranging from 100Mb to 950Mb. Two main issues are with Outlook and VPN, to the point where it's pretty unusable.

Running v3.9.2.3 firmware.

Also have a 100Mb circuit with a second 3910. Works perfectly with no issues at all.

Outlook is running on RDS servers with 80 or so users and connected to a hosted Exchange service in online mode. Can take minutes to open an email. There are no problems when routed through the 3910 on the 100Mb circuit.

The second problem is with remote users connected over VPN. Connections drop on a frequent basis and performance is poor. Again, no such problems with the other 3910 on the 100Mb circuit.

Gamma say the line is fine. Engineer has been out and got consistent 900Mb+ speeds during the limited testing he did.

Not sure where to go with this, any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2020 18:56 #74 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Old issue back again this morning only able to access ipv6 sites ipv4 offline until I rebooted it. Had gone over 1000hrs without an issue until recently.
Since Draytek had ceased responding to the original ticket they've just got another one on the subject.
I may need to go back to the older firmware.

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Nov 2020 12:27 #75 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
The new firmware does seem much better and we are seeing fewer and fewer reboots/crashes - it's gone from 1 or 2 a day to 1 or 2 a month.

We are seeing a new issue though with a recently installed leased line connected via SFP. The Draytek see's the connection and it works but if you reboot the Draytek or the ADVA fibre box then it only comes back live 50% of the time, the rest it just has a red light on the ADVA box. After several hours it does seem to come back live by itself but more testing is needed. Its on WAN ping detection but changing to always on makes no difference.

More
03 Dec 2020 10:09 #76 by kid.a
Replied by kid.a on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Morning. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread! It's restored some level of sanity!

We’ve been experiencing WAN drop outs for months.

We have BTNet 100/100 supplied to a Meraki MX68W as pass through (BT provide it this way, it seems OTT), then into our Draytek 3910. We are planning on going to 1000/1000 connection very soon, as often use nearly all of the bandwidth. I had considered this might be part of the problem…

I upgraded to a 3910 at the same time as getting the BTNet, as we are also using BT cloud voice and approx 60 users accessing the inetrnet as same time, so I wanted something with more capacity. Previously had a 2862 connecting to BT Infinity just fine.

Internet connection drops roughly every 7 or 8 days - sometimes it will go as far as 14 days. When it drops, the Draytek WAN detail shows as still live/connected. No errors. Connection will recovery by itself/without any intervention after a few minutes. But as we’re using BT cloud voice, users lose their calls for a few minutes. We always have access to everything on the LAN when the internet drops, as per other reports here - so am now certain it’s the same issue.

I've been chasing BT over this, as I'd assumed router was all fine having no errors and being up to date with firmware. I’ve just recently updated it to 3.9.2.4/v8

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2020 10:16 #77 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Yep its really frustrating and UK support haven't really got a clue they just keep passing stuff back and forth to Taiwan.

I always thought Draytek routers were solid business grade hardware but considering the 3910 was released with a host of firmware issues and we are now a year on and multiple people are still experiencing issues its worrying.

More
03 Dec 2020 10:25 #78 by kid.a
Replied by kid.a on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
I only upgraded to latest firmware Monday evening, so will let that run now and see how it goes. If not, I'll have to consider an alternative router. Shame as I do like the Draytek stuff