DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting

More
11 Jan 2021 09:52 #19 by admin3

jrp wrote:
I wish I'd read this forum. My upgrade to 3.9.5.all also failed to take (reverting back to 3.9.4.1 after too many reboots). I also use syslog.

Thanks for the update, it's a shame that the 3.9.5 firmware isn't working for everyone. Could you possibly get the output of "sys ver dbg" and make a support ticket so that this issue can be resolved for the next release? There don't appear to be reports of 3.9.5 firmware having issues from other countries that I can see at the moment.

I think the problems might be specific to the BT firmware, so you can try upgrading to the "Vigor 2862 Series Firmware 3.9.5 (77C717 Modem Code) " without the BT specific features, to see if that's more stable for you.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2021 16:59 #20 by flussig
EDIT
Never mind, sorted it now with firmware downgrade utility.
pretty poor that this firmware is still available for download, surely it should be pulled for further testing as there is a number of people with issues.

I am having the same issues with this version. After applying it reboots constantly and doesn't stay up for longer than 60seconds. I have tried factory reset but still the same issue. Can someone advise me how to downgrade as the router doesn't stay up long enough? thanks

More
15 Jan 2021 17:36 #21 by jefurry
Unfortunately, my situation seems slightly worse. I upgraded my 2862ac to 3.9.5_BT and had the same reboot problems people have mentioned here (and yes, I'm using syslog too, though I'm going to disable it now). However, I did a factory reset, and manually reconfigured everything (which probably turned syslog off, now I think about it). I got the router to be stable for a couple of days (during which it presumably updated its recovery firmware to 3.9.5 too, as I think it does this after 24 hours of stability by default). Then it started rebooting again... and this time it went into an repeating reboot cycle. After all else failed, I attempted a factory reset, but it just started rebooting again (though maybe it was rebooting earlier in the boot process, maybe 15 seconds in or so).

It doesn't even complete the boot before rebooting, so I can't get it into TFTP mode. The router is effectively bricked, and I have had to buy a new one to replace it. For simplicity, I've replaced it with an identical one, but my confidence in Draytek has been severely dented.

I upgraded the new router to the same firmware and it started rebooting too, but when it failed enough times to do a firmware recovery, it went back to 3.9.41 and I was able to use it again. I suspect that if it had stayed up 24 hours it could have been bricked too.

I would advise people to be extremely cautious about this 3.9.5 firmware. I'm avoiding it altogether.

More
15 Jan 2021 18:52 #22 by lorian
"TFTP mode is activated by powering up the Vigor router while the Factory Reset button is pressed in. This requires a pen tip or paperclip to press the recessed reset button."

that should force it in to TFTP mode

More
16 Jan 2021 12:37 #23 by dottedquad
Replied by dottedquad on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting

Flussig wrote:
Can someone advise me how to downgrade as the router doesn't stay up long enough? thanks

The official Draytek guide (which worked for me) is here:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-firmwarerecovery-drayos
You'll need to run their upgrade utility (TFTP - tiny FTP) from a Windows machine.

You'll also need a fixed copy of the 395_BT firmware. I asked Draytek UK and they helped:

Dear Martin,
Thank you for contacting technical support.

Please take configuration backup and upgrade firmware using link below.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/v2862_3951_RC2_BT.zip

IF it shown file name error -then try to remove decimals from filename and try again,

Let us know if that fix the issue.

Regards,

Narpat

More
16 Jan 2021 12:40 #24 by kilburnie
Replied by kilburnie on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
My connection drops out every two minutes. Maddening. Any ideas please