DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting

More
16 Jan 2021 20:25 #25 by dougwzz99
Replied by dougwzz99 on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
Downloaded the 3.9.5_BT firmware just a few hours ago and got the continual reboot problem on my 2862. Fortunately I still had the 3.9.4.1_BT.all file on my hard drive so followed the recovery process:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-firmwarerecovery-drayos

and was able to recover back to a working router.

I'm surprised the 3.9.5 firmware is still available for download. Looks like DrayTek are aware of the problem as there seems to be new (test?) version available:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/v2862_3951_RC2_BT.zip

I'm going to hold off a further upgrade until they release an official update.

P.S. Like other users with this problem, I too use syslog .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2021 12:40 #26 by raydray
The question is why the 3.9.5_BT firmware is still the recommended 2862 release when it can have such a bad outcome for a router and the reboot issue is known to Draytek Support ?

I also won’t be installing the RC2 temporary firmware, which doesn’t come with any documentation as to what has been fixed or known issues.

More
17 Jan 2021 12:52 #27 by flussig

raydray wrote:
The question is why the 3.9.5_BT firmware is still the recommended 2862 release when it can have such a bad outcome for a router and the reboot issue is known to Draytek Support ?

I also won’t be installing the RC2 temporary firmware, which doesn’t come with any documentation as to what has been fixed or known issues.

I agree completely, it should really be pulled.

More
18 Jan 2021 10:17 #28 by admin3

raydray wrote:

It's quite likely at this point that the recommended firmware will go back to 3.9.4.1 BT.

If it's possible to do so, please do contact support with the output of "sys ver dbg" if your router goes into a reboot cycle. I'm not sure that the firmware team have pinned down the cause of these restarts.

The 3.9.5.1 RC2 firmware may help, but has anyone had the opportunity to try the non-BT version of the 3.9.5 firmware to see if that is also affected by the rebooting issue?

Forum Administrator

More
18 Jan 2021 10:23 #29 by jefurry

Lorian wrote:
"TFTP mode is activated by powering up the Vigor router while the Factory Reset button is pressed in. This requires a pen tip or paperclip to press the recessed reset button."

that should force it in to TFTP mode

You're right - it did eventually work, though not on every try - maybe I have a flaky reset button. But anyway, despite the doom and gloom above, I've been able to recover the router, revert to 3.9.41, and return the replacement I bought (thankfully it had a 14-day no quibble return policy, and I restored it to factory settings and repacked it as close as possible to new condition, so it will go on to serve someone else well).

So my case isn't as serious as I figured, but I still agree with other posters than there are serious problems with the recent firmware. I'm not about to install the semi-unofficial RC2 - in fact I'm going to wait before installing *any* updates until I've checked here for other people's experiences.

Draytek have made a mistake this time. We can forgive that in time, but what matters now is how they contain and fix it. Pulling 3.9.5 in favour of making 3.9.5_RC2 official, or something newer, seems like a good move.

• sascham
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2021 17:16 #30 by sascham
I had the same issue had to go through recovery process and revert to 3.9.4.1.

I did try doing a clean install of 3.9.5 BT with a minimal manual configuration with no syslog and no usb 4G modem but it lasted about 7 hours before crashing so I have given up until a confirmed working build is released.