Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting

• cjward
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2021 11:52 #43 by cjward
Hi
Same issues here. Originally I had been disappointed that when I went extend my wifi and have a managed mesh from my 2862, it wouldn't cope with the three SSID's I have and still provide a functional mesh network so I went for the AP-903 as an additional AP with only one SSID. This worked but was not my ideal nor what was advertised on the tin.

When the 3.9.5_BT was issued I installed immediately and hey presto everything ran like a dream. Even before deploying a mesh network with additional AP-903's, I had experienced odd behaviour with the 2862 WiFi. All my problems seemed to be cured and my faith in Draytek restored. I extended to having one wired node and one non wired node and it has been solid for more than a month.

Yesterday, I had cause to reboot the router while adding a new printer on the LAN. As soon as I rebooted it all went to hell. After multiple false starts on my WiFi connection, I realised that the router was constantly rebooting. After a period of reboots I got the fateful "firmware reset to 3.9.2 too many reboots". I tried reloading 3.9.5_BT firmware only to be met by same failure. Going onto the draytek site, I was surprised to find the 3.9.5_BT firmware was not listed nor any indication it had been there. I was beginning to think it was something I had done wrong and maybe had an incorrect package. After much searching, I had a look on the forum here and blow me, I am not going mad.

I cannot understand why it all went to hell yesterday. I have a scheduled maintenance reboot every Sunday. That has been without glitch. Anyway, having read through the posts, I opted to disable Syslog and remove the USB drive, which has been in since the original install (quite some time ago). Once disabled I re-applied 3.9.5_BT and everything is magically back up and running in a stable fashion.

I cannot begin to express how disappointed I am that there has been so little information available, from draytek, about this issue. I genuinely like draytek routers and AP's but toward the middle of last year I was becoming concerned about deploying anything related to WiFi because of numerous little niggles. These issues need sorting and draytek should keep us properly informed. I do not have a huge number of units out there but enough to worry me.

Here's hoping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2021 22:43 #44 by mgillespie2
Replied by mgillespie2 on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
2 months on, no official release fix. What's going on.

More
03 Mar 2021 08:12 #45 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

I'd leave as myself but be mindful of syslog, if you should try using syslog, and you get problems you know why.

I'm sure that Draytek will be punching out a modified firmware version shortly that overcomes the issues experienced by those that use syslog.

When they do upgrade the firmware, it probably won't make a difference to anybody other than those that use syslog.

• rmistry22
  • User
  • User
More
04 Mar 2021 06:08 #46 by rmistry22
Replied by rmistry22 on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
I see 3.9.5 is available again, anyone know if the issues are fixed?

More
04 Mar 2021 07:12 #47 by lorian
Not on the UK site it isn't, I'd stay clear personally

More
08 Mar 2021 19:28 #48 by mgillespie2
Replied by mgillespie2 on topic Re: 3.9.5_BT 2862 firmware constantly rebooting
I would have hoped that it wasn't still called 3.9.5, that would be insanely bad move to have two different versions with the same release number.