Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless on Vigor 2860n

• jimmyn
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2013 18:06 #19 by jimmyn
Replied by jimmyn on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
I've been told to try the beta firmware - RC7 the link is http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/download/v2860_373_RC7.zip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2013 18:12 #20 by simon.read
Replied by simon.read on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
Sounds like you have the exact same problem I have, I'm glad its not just me!

As aforemntioned I have had to use AP700's in lieu of the built-in wireless.

2830n and 2850n work fine. Did Draytek not test the 2860n with iOS6?

• jimmyn
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2013 18:29 #21 by jimmyn
Replied by jimmyn on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
I'm now getting frequent disconnects on the 2860n with my VDSL connected. I've had to go back to the BT modem connected to the router on WAN2

Not ideal!

More
16 Aug 2013 20:02 #22 by phillb
Replied by phillb on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n

simon.read wrote: Sounds like you have the exact same problem I have, I'm glad its not just me!

As aforemntioned I have had to use AP700's in lieu of the built-in wireless.

2830n and 2850n work fine. Did Draytek not test the 2860n with iOS6?

Do you find it works okay then with the AP700? My router doesn't have built in wifi so normally use a D-Link DWL-2100AP but have also tried an Apple Airport Extreme. Using either access point I still get the same problem. Weirdly sometimes to get an IP using DHCP I sometimes had to reboot the AP as well as the Router, so not sure why that might be.

As a test/work around I have assigned static IPs to the iOS devices and they now connect fine. Had to forget the network on the iOS devices and set up again though otherwise they refused to connect at all and kept reverting back to DHCP, but once a new network connection is made and a static IP assigned all seems fine.

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2013 21:28 #23 by simon.read

jimmyn wrote: I'm now getting frequent disconnects on the 2860n with my VDSL connected. I've had to go back to the BT modem connected to the router on WAN2

Not ideal!

I normally use the BT Openreach modem into WAN2, for a couple of reasons. Firstly if there is a problem at least you are using some of the BT supplied kit, the first things they are going to ask you to do is put the ECI modem back on. And secondly I experienced problems with the upload speed when having VDSL connected directly to 2850's - not sure if this problem has been resolved with the 2860?

The only drawback of doing this is that you cannot look at the line statistics.

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2013 21:35 #24 by simon.read

PhillB wrote: Do you find it works okay then with the AP700? My router doesn't have built in wifi so normally use a D-Link DWL-2100AP but have also tried an Apple Airport Extreme. Using either access point I still get the same problem. Weirdly sometimes to get an IP using DHCP I sometimes had to reboot the AP as well as the Router, so not sure why that might be.

As a test/work around I have assigned static IPs to the iOS devices and they now connect fine. Had to forget the network on the iOS devices and set up again though otherwise they refused to connect at all and kept reverting back to DHCP, but once a new network connection is made and a static IP assigned all seems fine.

Hi Phil, yes I find that using an AP700 (or AP800) works very reliably. I sell probably 50%/50% Draytek N versions and Draytek non N version with AP700's or AP800's - depending on the customer requirement and environment.

Yes I also found it worked fine with static IP's, I think the problem lies with how DHCP is handed off through the wireless on the 2860n to iOS 6 devices. As you will have seen the device will get a DHCP lease for a second or two and then drop it and go back to APIPA. It works absolutely fine with Windows laptop's and Windows Phone's, not tried Android though.