DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless on Vigor 2860n

More
17 Aug 2013 13:15 #25 by phillb
Replied by phillb on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
Thanks for the information Simon.

Do you use the AP700 for DHCP rather than the 2860 then? Just trying to work out how you get reliability using an external AP where as I still get the same problem. I've still been using the 2860 for DHCP rather than the external AP.

Thanks,

Phill,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 10:02 #26 by simon.read
Replied by simon.read on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n

PhillB wrote: Thanks for the information Simon.

Do you use the AP700 for DHCP rather than the 2860 then? Just trying to work out how you get reliability using an external AP where as I still get the same problem. I've still been using the 2860 for DHCP rather than the external AP.

Thanks,

Phill,

Hi Phill, in most scenarios I have a server doing DHCP but I have had the 2860 doing DHCP serving wired and wireless clients. I had issues when using access points as DHCP relay to either a router or a server, I just leave DHCP disabled on the WAP and the wireless client should pickup an IP lease.

More
20 Aug 2013 10:22 #27 by phillb
Replied by phillb on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
Thanks for this. I'm now not clear why I'm seeing the problem while using a separate AP where as you don't. I guess its as I'm using the 2860 as the DHCP host. I don't know how to set a server to do the DHCP hence using the 2860 to do it.

Do you think swapping to a different Draytec router would solve the problem?

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 10:44 #28 by simon.read

PhillB wrote: Thanks for this. I'm now not clear why I'm seeing the problem while using a separate AP where as you don't. I guess its as I'm using the 2860 as the DHCP host. I don't know how to set a server to do the DHCP hence using the 2860 to do it.

Do you think swapping to a different Draytec router would solve the problem?

I take it you don't have a server on your network which can perform the DHCP role for you?

I honestly never had a problem with the 2860's predecessor the 2830.

You can setup the AP-700 as a DHCP server, the option is located under System Utility \ DHCP Server.
You have to select the DHCP Server dropdown under Management IP to "Enabled" for the DHCP settings to be available.
Specify the Default Gateway as your router, and if you don't have a server to forward DNS requests set the Domain Name Server IP to the router also.

I hope this helps.

More
24 Aug 2013 17:35 #29 by ignacio010
Replied by ignacio010 on topic Re: Wireless on Vigor 2860n
Hi,

I have exactly this same problem with the 2860n I bought last week. The laptops seem to connect fine but the handhelds, bb, samsung phones are the ones struggling to get an ip assigned. Surely it's a firmware issue.

The workaround is to set up a different dhcp server and disable the one on the router. This needs to get sorted by a firmware update.

Ignacio

• simon.read
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Sep 2013 15:24 #30 by simon.read
Just speaking with SEG they tell me that this problem has been addressed and fixed in the latest firmware 3.7.3.