DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2010 10:56 #1 by nilz38
I am trying to set up the 2820n with Virgin broad band (50MB fibre which has a modem), after researching I found that this router does both Modem and DSL connection. I have used the wizard on the start up screen and picked Static IP address, as everything else seems to come up with a ADSL connection asking for username and passwords, I have filled in the relevant info, which include

static IP address, which I have got from the modem
MAC address which I got from the modem
DNS retrieved from the modem
Gateway retrieved from Modem

I have managed to get a LAN connection which I am only getting 17MB download but get no connection on the wireless part, even though it is enabled. If I plug directly into the Modem I get 47MB download, I know this router is capable of 50MB through put, as confirmed from your web site and confirmed from your retailer " Broadbandbuyer".

I am currently using a bog standard Dlink which seems to work no problems, the whole Idea of this router 2820n was to increase the wireless range of the "N" series and have more control.

In short I am only getting 17MB download when I should get 47MB/50MB and cannot get the wireless to work

Can someone point me in the right direction :roll:

Nilz38

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2010 11:32 #2 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
I take it your using WAN2 ?

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2010 11:38 #3 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Draytek setup 2820n
yes Rothers, I am using WAN2 connection , this is the current set up, From the back of the modem RJ45 directly into the WAN part of the Router, as per the manual. Cable in the LAN 2 into laptop! :roll:

More
27 Feb 2010 14:03 #4 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
FWIW, VM do not give out static IP's. If you were to reboot your modem when it is connected to your 2820, as the mac address of the device connected to the modem is different, you will get a new IP address. Rather than go into wizard to correct it, do it directly in the settings. It looks like your setup is confusing ADSL and Cable.

Do you have a valid ADSL connection, and what is its speed?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2010 14:52 #5 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Seems like we are getting lan internet but no wireless, even though it is enabled

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2010 17:24 #6 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
The Mac address I am using is of the modem. The current set up does work if you are connected via Ethernet not wireless. The modem has been restarted a number of times and each time we have been given the same IP address, I do agree that VM do not give Static IP addresses, but the only way I can think is to add the mac address of the modem, other wise how would the router know the gateway, in the event of the IP address changing.

just to simplify things I have disabled WAN 1 so we are only using WAN2 :lol:

There must be something I am missing, its is only the Wireless which is now not working!!!!

Moderators: Sami