DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2010 11:06 #37 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Well after leaving everything blank and pressing the release button, we managed to establish connection. The wireless part was holding the old IP address , refreshing the wireless connection work also.

What you suggested sportbilly worked. Thank you and NJH so much

:lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 11:09 #38 by sportbilly
Replied by sportbilly on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Glad I could help.

One note - if you reset the router its normally ok but if you connect a new router for any reason you have to reset the virgin modem before it will connect. We resell Drayteks so I swap mine around sometimes when testing - currently I have the IPPBX in place but it works the same as the standard 2820N and I have to reboot when swapping round.

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2010 11:41 #39 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Ok thanks for that I shall bear that in mind

More
13 Mar 2010 06:59 #40 by norm
Replied by norm on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but some advice would be helpful, please. I am having Virgin 50mb installed on Friday and up to now have been on BeUnlimited with my Vigor 2820vn.

Now I understand from this thread that the 2820 can be connected to the cable modem that Virgin will supply - the 2820 is not a substitute for the Virgin modem. As the Virgin modem is a WiFi router as well (I think) what are the advantages of attaching my 2820?

TIA

Regards

norm

More
13 Mar 2010 08:08 #41 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Virgin will supply a Cable Modem and a router. I don't believe their modem is a router as well. You will not need their router. To assess the advantages or the 2820 over the VM router you will have to compare their features. It you use VPN's at all the Vigor is the way to go. Ditto multi-wan.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
13 Mar 2010 08:27 #42 by norm
Replied by norm on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Thanks. I didn't understand that they were two separate items. I'll see what they bring but I imagine I will use my Vigor instead of their router and this thread is very helpful in telling me how to set it up.

Regards

norm

Moderators: Sami