DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband

More
27 Feb 2010 17:37 #7 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
The normal way is to not enter the MAC address at all and set the WAN to acquire its address by DHCP. Assigning a fixed IP will work until VM do something to their network which changes your IP address. What you have done risks failure.

To set up, try WNA > Internet Access > WAN2 > Static or Dynamic IP tab > Check the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and the "Default MAC Address". OK that. Then power cycle the cable modem, and, if necessary, the router (VM say to but it should not be necessary).

Don't worry about the router > gateway connection. The router, CM and gateway (actually UBR or CMTS) look after that automatically.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2010 18:19 #8 by nilz38
Replied by nilz38 on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband
Thanks for that NJH I shall try this tomorrow evening. Can you please confirm what is WNA?

Possibly a ridiculous question!!! :wink:

More
27 Feb 2010 20:01 #9 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband

nilz38 wrote: Thanks for that NJH I shall try this tomorrow evening. Can you please confirm what is WNA?

Possibly a ridiculous question!!! :wink:

WNA is finger/keyboard problem. :roll:

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2010 22:59 #10 by nilz38
Hi NJH i have tried enabling the router to obtain the IP address and Mac Address , as soon as I do this I loose all connection on LAN. If I set the IP address and MAC address I get a LAN connection but no Wireless connection, which is really strange

Also I had tested the speeds using the Draytek and I got 3.2MB download, this is really poor as when I plug a Rj45 straight into the modem I get 17MB download.

Any help of step in the right direction would be much appreciated

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2010 23:44 #11 by nilz38
Looking at the router there is a a "wireless LAN on/Off/ WPS button, which looks like a light but is a button on the front of the router, even pressing this I am not able to ping anything inside the LAN from my phone through WI-Fi if I am not able to ping anything on the LAN wireless how can the router know where to point to the gateway !!!!!!!!!!!

• nilz38
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2010 23:55 #12 by nilz38
Ok seems like I managed to sort out the ping response from WI-FI, I now send and receive ping responses from my phone. I had the channel set to 7MHZ just changed that to auto, I am hoping this is going to resolve the wireless side of things. :roll:

Moderators: Sami