DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n Disconnecting on BT Infinity after firmware upgrade

• sp0ok
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jul 2016 18:46 #67 by sp0ok
Well after a few more configuration tests using the firmware mentioned in my previous post I decided to reconnect the BT white modem and then connect the Draytek via the WAN connection.

First few days went well but now I'm getting more frequent crashes of the 2860 and by crashed I mean I can no longer ping the device on the network or even access it via the web interface as the whole unit seams to go to complete s**t until it gets a full power cycle and then runs ok for a few days.

Currently looking into a few other options such as the UniFi Security Gateway and use the BT white modem as I already use some of their products within my network.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silvermurch
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2016 09:19 #68 by silvermurch

silvermurch wrote: Resolved the issue. Bought a Billion Bipac 8900AX-2400 Router. An expensive remedy but worked first time, been up and stable now at the max connection rate since 26th May

Been on the Bipax 8900AX2400 now for 2 months and it hasn't missed a heart beat. It's easy enough to setup the BT connection but a little more cumbersome to setup BT Ultra HD TV as you have to isolate the port so the data transfer can be focused just at that port. There are step by steps on Billions forum to make life easier, mostly are related to previous models llike the 7700/7800XL but they all work the same.
A little disappointed really with Draytek but it's probably due to a small amount of users having issues that its not really been resolved for everyone. My Draytek Vigor 910c works flawlessly with the Bipac so the 2860 is on a shelf in the shed for now. I connect at around 79-77mb with the full 20mb upload. It changes every now and then but that is in relation to the SNR and Atten but at least the Billion automatically does this without dropping the link.
That's all I wanted Draytek

• nigew
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jul 2016 21:12 #69 by nigew
I don't know if this will help, but I've just been out on a job that had the latest firmware update to a 2860 and web browsing was a joke with occasional drop outs.
I spent an hour sifting through with Wireshark and some data requests were being repeated.

When I checked the MTU speed, it had gone from 1492 to 1520. In the UK it should be 1492 max.
The MTU setting had not been changed from before the firmware upgrade, so I'm wondering if all these connection drop outs are related.

Can someone put my mind at rest and tell me their MTU setting in no higher than 1492?

If it is, change it and it should solve 'a' problem, if not 'the' problem.

More
28 Jul 2016 15:53 #70 by nipedley
Hi Nigew

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm actually on TalkTalk's FTTC service (unsure how it differs from BT's FTTC) and my Draytek (2860n) MTU discovery service picks up an apparently correct 1500 MTU on all of my VDSL FTTC lines, on my ADSL lines it picks up 1492

I've been affected by the bug with the Vector/BT firmwares just like others here reporting when using BT's VDSL service. I've been on Standard firmware now for a while with no issues, but every time I dip my toe in the water with the Vector firmware when there's a new update, I get a day or so of normal service and then constant drop outs and line reprofiling until I'm down to about 20mb (from 70mb) downstream that can't even load a webpage.

• nigew
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jul 2016 16:20 #71 by nigew
Hi Nipedley,

I got home and found my Plusnet 36Mb service uses 1500 MTU too! I do not know why the router I was called to was set at 1520 instead of 1492 after a firmware update. After talking to the provider he explained about the 1492 max figure being a max. I guess that is just for PPoE or similar.

Setting my MTU at home lower just cut the service, so it seems its all in the detail.

Hope you find or are provided with a solution soon.

N

More
31 Aug 2016 16:18 #72 by jedi98
I've got two (out of 3) 2860's dropping out VDSL far too often.

• One 2860, running 3.8.2.3BT, DSL:574307_A/B/C HW: A, seems to be stable on a plusnet 80/20 synced line, Plusnet Business Fibre. vdsl optn g.vector set on.

• One 2860n, running 3.8.2.3BT, DSL:576D17_A/B/C HW: A, is stable sometimes then gets a whole spate of random drop outs Maybe 3 a day or more re-syncs), syncs at 30/4 ish. BT Infinity. vdsl optn g.vector set off.

• One 2860n, was running 3.8.2.3BT and dropped out most of the time but HAD been stable until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Changed fw about 3 days ago to 3.8.2.2-VT1, DSL: 566207_A/B/C HW: A and it has been stable after a couple of re-syncs early on. 80/20 sync, g.vector set off. Plusnet Fibre. BT checked line and found no fault anywhere. vdsl optn g.vector set off.
    (this one seems not to re-sync when tested with WAN2 / openreach modem or a Netgear DM200, unless it's doing it really fast and the ppp is staying up. STD firmware just gives me a 61/20 instead of 80/20 sync)

Kind of struggling to come up with a pattern here. Over a couple of weeks I came up with several ideas, none of which have panned out yet: -
  • Maybe the power supply is dirty - yet to test.

• Maybe the line was damaged, seems to have been dis-proven by engineer.

• Maybe there was a f/w upgrade to the cabinet VDSL cards - any ideas on this?

• Maybe MY 2860 internal modem was damaged - hmmm no longer convinced here.