Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n Disconnecting on BT Infinity after firmware upgrade

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2016 13:12 #73 by flash2
Hi All fellow 2860 sufferers,

Its early stages, but I think I may have an idea whats causing our line drops. I can't solve it yet, but at least its something we can all test.

I noticed when we were on holiday away from home that there were no line drops at all. I eventually pinned it down to a member of the family's mobile phone attaching to the router when at home via wifi after being inactive (when its wifi presumably turns off).

Consistently at that point the line drops connection. The router doesn't appear to be rebooting. And ofcourse it may be a bigger problems than this, but it does appear to be wifi related to me.

One way, which isn't ideal, that we can all test this, is either to turn off wifi or disconnect the suspect device (one which re-attaches to wifi after sleep perhaps - in my case a huawaii mobile phone on the 2.4GHz wifi) and see if there are any line drops.

I'm convinced enough to report this to support and see what they say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2016 23:21 #74 by jedi98
At present I'm not seeing excessive line dropout. I say 'excessive' because there are some drops on one out of three 2860s at about the rate of 1 every 2 days: -

• router1 - 2860n - FW 3.8.2.3_VT1 Modem 566207, vector=on, only one wifi client (LG TV) seems stable now its downgraded to VT1.

• router2 - 2860n - FW 3.8.2.3_VT1 Modem 566207, vector=off, some wifi clients, drops out maybe every 48 hours or so, much more stable now on VT1.

• router3 - 2860 - FW 3.8.2.2_VT1 Modem 566207, vector=on, no wifi, seems stable now its downgraded to VT1.

All three router's VDSL became unstable at some stage when on VT3 firmware and so, after some experiments I settled on VT1.

I considered wifi, but my angle was direct wifi interference to the DSL since it seemed to occur when people came in the door (passed the line cabling) with phones, but these phones have no access to the router. Interesting angle though: could a wifi connect destabilize the DSL and cause a re-train? Anyone else tie up wifi somehow to dropouts?

At some stage soon I can turn off wifi on router2, when the on-site guy gets back from holiday, and see if this has any effect.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2016 01:29 #75 by flash2
My thoughts are that perhaps the resources are dropping out on the router because of bottleneck/memory leak somewhere.
My tests are not proving quite as predictable so far today regarding that specific device, but there is definately a correlation between overall device/activity on the LAN and the line drops. Still suspect wifi, but will report back as I find out more. Please do also with your tests of possible.

• mike.smith
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2016 04:46 #76 by mike.smith
I'm sure there is something valid in that idea, as I tend to reboot the device every three months or so as I notice the cpu utilisation gradually go up. Typically I run at average 3% and I see it go up to circa 30% in that kind of period, there must be other knock on effects.