• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Aug 2020 15:32 #19 by icmc
Replied by icmc on topic Re: Vigor 2927
The thing is

Draytek should be able to tell us when the goods are available.
I am not prepared to wait indefinitely. I need an estimate when they will be on the market. I have to build a com network between the houses and I need to know what I can do with which units.
I will not buy stuff that hasn't got ax or WPA3 nor lesst then 9 Mb/s. I have a gig connection and I have a laptop with ax.

So there (Draytek)

Thx
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
30 Aug 2020 17:59 #20 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Vigor 2927
In basically the same boat as you Ian. I personally don't think we are going to see any new units in the UK within the next 2 months, and I'd be surprised we saw any AX models this year in the UK.

I don't have any information to back this up, just an impression I get based on historic model releases. Worth noting also that new models will have their firmware issues, which sometimes take Draytek a year or so to admit/fix.

So whilst we in the same boat, we're also up the creek without a paddle, so to speak. Unless there's another option out there. Like you I want to emulate the security features of the Drayteks, without extra subscriptions, or cloud based services. Most routers seems to boast about their wifi strengths, but few seem to highlight their firewalls. The currently popular Ubiquiti approach is very different to Draytek, and you will only appreciate that approach if you replace your entire network with their products (in my experience/oppinion, having taken some steps down that path).

Perhaps one option is the same as rolandrat - a 3910, with Ubuiti wifi? At least the 3910 is a relatively new release, and heopfully will have its issues ironed out, even if it is a little pricey. The rebooting issue I read about is particularly concerning I must admit.

Strike that - heck £669.89 is A LOT.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
30 Aug 2020 20:06 #21 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Vigor 2927

Flash2 wrote:

Strike that - heck £669.89 is A LOT.

Shut your eyes when pressing the buy now button!!

At least if you like Draytek, your future proofed for a long time, 10Gbe LAN, 9Gbe NAT throughput, up to 8 WAN.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
31 Aug 2020 12:33 #22 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Vigor 2927
Maybe, but something that randomly restarts and loses it settings? So I read on another thread.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
31 Aug 2020 20:17 #23 by netjet1980
Replied by netjet1980 on topic Re: Vigor 2927

Flash2 wrote:
Maybe, but something that randomly restarts and loses it settings? So I read on another thread.

This does not happen for everyone. Restarts and lost settings has not happened to me (I had other issues though lol). It seems, the 3910 struggles on certain areas at the moment, mainly on complex WAN setups, large VPN pools and unusual DHCP setups. I had issues as well with certain "more demanding" routing policies. All these will most likely be ironed out in the future via firmware updates.

As a simple (high performance) WAN router, I would not expect too many issues. It will probably do just fine in most consumer setups. Saying all that, the firmware is immature and feels dodgy when asked a bit more of, so for a commercial production environment, not advisable right now. I was quite frustrated the first two days I had it (but I have to admin, it's not a simple setup I am using it for: 3 WANS, 2.5gb connection to a busy Wifi 6 network, 2.5GB uplink to a few clients and file servers, lan-to-lan VPN, complex routing and load balancing policies), but since then it has been running for weeks stable and without a hitch.

For the price you really cannot find anything better. I have looked! The thing is a beast and if you go for it, it is future proof for years to come. Overall, I am very happy with mine now.

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Sep 2020 07:44 #24 by icmc
Replied by icmc on topic Re: Vigor 2927
Hi Netjet
Thx for joining the discussion.
It sounds all interesting what you say and yes I wouldn't mind having the 3910. It is just the price.
I would like to see the new 2927 at a reasonable price. That would do for me in a private environment.

Having read the things you do with your router I would be obliged if you could have a look at the topic on
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23685
I have opened that thread but I could do with some more answers. And it seems you are very knowledgeable.
Could do with some help how to set up a secure strict binding part and a relative relaxed guest part.

Thx
Ian