Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2927

• ccarmock
  • User
  • User
More
27 Aug 2020 19:41 #7 by ccarmock
Replied by ccarmock on topic Re: Vigor 2927
I have a UK 2960 connected to a Virgin Media Business 500 Mb/s service. It handles that well - I often see a download speed of approx 520 Mb/s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
27 Aug 2020 20:38 #8 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Vigor 2927
Thanks Ccarmock. Just out of interest, when was the 2960 launched? Its not reaching its end of life is it?

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
27 Aug 2020 20:52 #9 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Vigor 2927

icmc wrote:
Hi Flash

As you can see yourself no one has answered this thread.
I have spoken to Draytek who couldn't give me any indication what so ever.
Point being they where even unable to tell me the difference between the 2960 UK model and rest of the world model.
The UK one shows a throughput of 500 Mb/s where as the .com model shows 900+ Mb/s.
Is there actually a difference? Or is this just a writing error?
I need a router that can deliver 1 Gb/s and DrayTek is not really coming to terms with the demand. Same on WPA3 and AX models.

Not sure what to do. Have been a Draytek customer for some 20 years now. Do I need to change provider?

Thx
Ian

Any of the routers you get from the ISP for the 1Gb services should be able to cope, although I suspect thats not really the answer.

I took the gamble or risk earlier this year and bought a 3910, yes its a bit beta, but its the same familiar Draytek that ive been used to.
I feed it 900Mb vodafone/cityfibre and BT 310/50 services and it hardly ticks over, dont use any QOS, no need to, I have globalview CSM and its has a NordVPN setup outbound and SSL VPN inbound.
Nothing exciting else really, few firewall rules to block China and the like and some policy routes for Sky Q (it hates session based load balancing) and some NAS boxes. I have 10Gbe LAN to the main devices.
For Wifi its Ubiquiti Unifi all the way, I tried a Dream Machine Pro, but it was useless with two connections no routing at all.

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 09:47 #10 by icmc
Replied by icmc on topic Re: Vigor 2927
Thx for joining in Rolandrat

Yes the ISP ones can do the 1Gb but the security ion them is just not the same as Draytek. That is the main reason I use Draytek.
Yes the 3910 looks the part but also look at the price that is just OTT at least for me.
Thx for the info on Ubiquiti will check that and see what is what .

Thx
Ian

More
28 Aug 2020 13:02 #11 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Vigor 2927

icmc wrote:
Hi Flash

As you can see yourself no one has answered this thread.
I have spoken to Draytek who couldn't give me any indication what so ever.
Point being they where even unable to tell me the difference between the 2960 UK model and rest of the world model.
The UK one shows a throughput of 500 Mb/s where as the .com model shows 900+ Mb/s.
Is there actually a difference? Or is this just a writing error?

There's no difference between the international Vigor 2960 and the Vigor 2960 sold in the UK. The Vigor 2960's throughput is listed as 500mb/s on the UK website because there are a couple of specific performance scenarios with software QoS enabled that can slow it down. It can easily manage a gigabit line with and without QoS if you're using the hardware QoS.
The Vigor 2960 (released in 2013) does have a replacement on the way, so although it remains a good router, soon there will be even better options.

The Vigor 2927 will be launched in the UK once stock is available and is a great fit for gigabit connections. Also, the new wireless routers will have WPA3.

Forum Administrator

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 13:16 #12 by icmc
Replied by icmc on topic Re: Vigor 2927
Well thx admin

At least we are getting some answer to our questions. Any idea if they will have ax versions for the UK? For example on the 2927?

Thx
Ian