Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jul 2022 16:47 #13 by dewcal
Replied by dewcal on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Thanks for comments - may well roll back as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2022 16:58 #14 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Cheers for that - all good info, just supporting the fact that 4.4.0 doesn't seem to be all that stable/good/etc...

Support have actually been connected to mine this afternoon. All I've been told is that the mesh inconsistencies I seem to see have been escalated to 'the engineers'.
And they want to see my DSL Status from my older 2862Lac to see why it's generally 10Mbps faster (a little bit inconvenient but not impossible).

More
14 Jul 2022 11:57 #15 by ianfretwell
4.4.1 available on the international website...release notes don't hold out much hope for any real changes.

New Features
? None.

Improvement
? Corrected: An issue of potential memory leakage.

Known Issue
? A firewall can restrict/drop unwanted inbound WAN traffic such as VPN requests. The router's firewall block rules can stop remote management and VPN access. It is recommended to review the firewall settings before upgrading.
? Enable Data Flow Monitor will cause Hardware Acceleration to stop working after the firmware upgrade. Please review the DataFlow Monitor setting when meeting a performance drop issue.
? QoS does not work on G.fast line when the link rate exceeds 600 Mbps.
? For "ax" series model:
The wireless clients might encounter unexpected trouble (e.g., unable to use the printer on LAN) while accessing into Internet if the hardware acceleration is enabled.
To skip hardware acceleration for certain devices, the following telnet command can be used:
ppa -E -e 1
ppa -E -a AA:BB:CC:XX:XX:XX nat|bridge|ipsec

I thought data flow monitor and hardware acceleration were supposedly OK to be used together on 2865/2866 models but doesn't read like that.

They actually sent me 4.4.1_BT_RC1 yesterday as the engineers thought it would fix my mesh issues. It changed absolutely nothing for me!

More
14 Jul 2022 15:57 #16 by iamq-yesiam
Replied by iamq-yesiam on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Have any of you tried to do the upgrade via the .RST (Reset file) rather then the .ALL file?

The important takeaway from this thread is 'maybe best not to upgrade any customer sites right now without extensive internal testing'... (I had rather hoped that Draytek had upped there firmware game, but alas I see not...)

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
14 Jul 2022 16:21 #17 by dewcal
Replied by dewcal on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Ian,
Thanks for the update re the firmware. As you say, it does not sound promising, but then, do they include all information in the notes? I somehow doubt it!

I will wait a while before I try a FW upgrade just to see if they come out with something else.

I seldom use the "rst" version as I have little desire to lose my settings which, apart from the mesh and binding IPs are minimal.

More
14 Jul 2022 17:34 #18 by ianfretwell

IamQ-YesIam wrote:
Have any of you tried to do the upgrade via the .RST (Reset file) rather then the .ALL file?

The important takeaway from this thread is 'maybe best not to upgrade any customer sites right now without extensive internal testing'... (I had rather hoped that Draytek had upped there firmware game, but alas I see not...)

Yes, in the past. To go from 4.4.0 to the RC version of 4.4.1 mentioned earlier I had to reboot the router to factory defaults on 4.4.0 (so kinda like using the RST file) - only then would it upgrade to 4.4.1 successfully. And of course then I had to setup from scratch (I chose not to use my config backup in case that was the cause of my issues - it's a config that started life on a 2860ac so it's probably overdue).

The failed firmware attempts just hung on the 'Firmware is updating - do not interrupt' screen - I even left it for an hour on the first attempt with no change. After closing the browser I could only access via SSH and was then able to perform a 'sys reboot' - 3 attempts, all identical, all rebooted straight back to 4.4.0. I'm putting this here because having SSH enabled might be a very useful thing in desperate situations!