DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware

More
24 Jul 2022 16:13 #19 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
I've pretty much given up on getting 'mesh' working and have been up & stable for over a week using WDS instead for the wireless AP...(admittedly I've been away so there wasn't much messing with it anyway - the router did reboot itself randomly 5 days in though).

Draytek themselves haven't given up on it - they've now sent me 4.4.2_BT_RC2 (so no actual sign on an official 4.4.1_BT but yet here's 4.4.2!) - but this is for me to try with mesh which I'm now reluctant to even attempt since things seem to be working OK. If anybody want's it just let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jul 2022 20:42 #20 by dewcal
Replied by dewcal on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Thanks for update. I have actually rolled back my FW to v4.3.x and found that, to get the mesh to work, I had to re-enable it. For some reason I expected my settings to remain as I did not use the "rst" version.

Once I clicked enable, the mesh started up again without any issues.

Will pass on 4.4.2RC thanks!

More
02 Aug 2022 10:31 #21 by ianfretwell
4.4.2_RC2 does seem to bring some improvements to the 'External Devices' side of things, finally both AP's are seen from Central Management.

However, on this version:-

-The LTE side of things simply won't connect...

-It's still rebooting at random if I try to view DSL Status.

-Access Control whitelists no longer work - it allows anything to connect just fine (this might actually be the case for older firmware too).

-Hardware acceleration is somehow changed and is making IPSEC L2L VPN's unusable. Work fine when it's turned off.

-Connection speed has dropped from approx. 55/10 (2862Lac) to 40/8 (2866Lac) - I'm guessing due to the ridiculous number of restarts/reboots making the line appear to be unstable (not specific to this firmware, this is due to the change to the 2866 in the first place).

Support are still involved but getting them to even answer a simple question is like pulling teeth...

I see we have an official 4.4.1_BT now but other than getting LTE back again I don't really see what I'll get from reverting to that. And it's almost laughable that the release notes state that there are no Known Issues !!!

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
02 Aug 2022 10:43 #22 by dewcal
Many thanks for update and commiserations with getting a resolution. Still can't get my head around why, with the same kit, I seem to have a working wired mesh and yours won't behave. How many individual gremlins are there in these routers?

More
02 Aug 2022 10:58 #23 by ianfretwell
It's not been the best £500 so far...had the 2862 up on eBay but ended the auction because at this rate it'll end up being back in use.

Here's an example of what I'm sending to support and then they respond with something highly descriptive like - 'Thank you for your reply.'

"It’s the been usual completely unacceptable nightmare of trying to get it working again…here’s the complete sequence of events:-

• Upgrade from 4.4.1_BT_RC1 to 4.4.2_BT_RC2 - Never completes
• CLI sys reboot
• Reboot 4.4.1 to factory config - Works
• Upgrade from 4.4.1_BT_RC1 to 4.4.2_BT_RC2 - Fails – states firmware damaged
• Install 4.4.0_BT_RC1 (.RST) - Works
• No config changes at all at this point.
• Upgrade from 4.4.0_BT_RC1 to 4.4.2_BT_RC2 - Never completes
• CLI sys reboot
• Install 4.3.2.1_BT (.RST) - Works
• No config changes at all at this point.
• Upgrade from 4.3.2.1_BT to 4.4.2_BT_RC2 - Never completes, interface doesn’t die but states firmware damaged.
• Install 4.3.2.1_BT (.RST) - Works
• Reboot 4.3.2.1 to factory default config - Works (DOES DOING THIS CHANGE THE FIRMWARE BOOT BANK BEING USED ?)
• Upgrade from 4.3.2.1_BT to 4.4.2_BT_RC2 - Works
• Restore config backup

Attached syslog file that ought to cover the timeframe but appears not to (5MB size).

The process that seems to work is therefore:- install an .RST file, reboot, reboot again to factory defaults THEN install the new firmware.

There has to be something major wrong with the firmware or my router for this to have to be done every time."

Kinda trying to establish whether I actually have a faulty router - but they just don't answer my questions or add any comments of their own...

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
02 Aug 2022 11:07 #24 by dewcal
That does not read well at all. I suffered from a 2862ac spontaneously rebooting at random intervals and it took 7 months for Draytek to agree the item was faulty and agree for it to be sent back to the dealer. I actually had to email the UK CEO to sort out the support roadblock. I got the feeling that support are not allowed to admit units are faulty.....

While my 2866 seems stable, I am still running my DSL though the ISP supplied Fritz!Box into WAN2 to avoid any DSLAM exchange penalty. As I am 1.4km from the cabinet speeds are abysmal....
I have no issues with the LTE from "3" although am probably not getting maximum speed from it through the external antenna I am using.
Good luck!