DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware

More
15 Aug 2022 09:30 #31 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
New update:-

VDSL line speed dropped from approx. 60Mbps down to 40Mbps - primarily down to the router rebooting all the bloody time (on it's own, not because I was changing anything!). DSLAM must have decided the line was unstable and changed various settings, etc.

Plusnet arranged for an Openreach engineer visit. The guy couldn't have been more helpful really, re-terminated various things, swapped the actual line...line sync with his test gear was just into the 60's...reconnect the Draytek...straight back down to 53. In his assessment the Draytek modem is causing attenuation on the line (so much for the 'BT' designation!).

So currently I've got three tickets open - random reboots, line attenuation & whitelisting...

Obviously I'm not holding out much hope for any real resolution but feel I have to keep banging away at them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2022 15:36 #32 by dewcal
Replied by dewcal on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Sounds like you are still having serious issues - good luck with three open support tickets. Do you have three support agents or the same one for each?

I can empathise with the Draytek having slower performance. When I run my Fritz!Box I can connect stably (month +) at 24 and use the Draytek 2866 for home network by putting cable into WAN2. When I use Draytek as DSL modem the speed drops to 19 despite having selected a "ping detected" MTU.

I am now going to look at using the Fritz!Box is bridge mode and WAN2 as a PPPoE connection - once I figure out the various bits of logic!

More
15 Aug 2022 15:41 #33 by ianfretwell
It's just annoying when it looks like its probably down to poorly written firmware.

e.g. I've noticed now that when I do a sys ver dbg from an SSH session it actually states the firmware in one place as being 'v2865' so either the firmware is now identical for the two models or they aren't very good at 'find & replace'!

I've actually got three different support agents which is probably a good thing for the time being...

• dewcal
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2022 15:51 #34 by dewcal
Replied by dewcal on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Having three agents may well help.
One thing I forgot to mention is that my "exchange" seems to have Broadcom equipment and various articles suggest that this kit does not play well with Draytek OS etc. All of which is well outside my understanding - I just want the best speed I can get (which isn't much as I am 1.4km from the cabinet!)

At least it is faster than dial-up......

More
15 Aug 2022 15:56 #35 by ianfretwell
Broadcom cabinet for me too...interestingly I thought they were the 'better' ones!

850m line here (which the OR engineer confirmed). What did surprise me was that he also told me that the line is jointed/changed something like a dozen times along it's path to the cabinet - & there was me thinking it would be almost continuous - naïve!!

More
17 Aug 2022 13:00 #36 by mn4292
Replied by mn4292 on topic Re: 2865 / 2866 / 2927 with 4.4.0 Firmware
Hi all,

I have the same issue with my 2866ax and it's very dodgy VDSL connection. I was kindly pointed in the direction of this post.

My VDSL is extremely unstable, with bandwidth dropping from 64/11 to 32/1 and sometimes lower over a period of 1-2 weeks, during the DSLAM resets each morning. I also suffer with PL and Latency issues.

The Openreach engineers run tests on the line with the Draytek connected and it will always fail.

Any other router connected, all Openreach tests pass fine. I also have none of the above issues with my other routers.

I'm running one of my £20 routers in bridge mode currently and everything is fine. It would be good to get to the bottom of this issue.